Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Can anyone name this switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a three position rotary switch,
it is like Single pole, double throw (SPDT) switch but has 1 to 3 instead of 1 to 2 selector.

Alex

Reactions: tswift

tswift

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
These can also be called 1 pole 3 way, both names describe the same but this second way gives also the accurate description of "inputs" and "outputs"
so you can also find:
•1 pole 12 way
•2 pole 6 way
•3 pole 4 way
•4 pole 3 way etc.

Alex

Alex, I am having a hard time finding a rotary switch than I can use for this.
Would there be a better way of wiring this circuit up?

I don't know the exact functionality of your circuit but your schematic shows three possible connections how can this be done differently?

Alex

Last edited:

It probably can not be done any other way. I just thought I would throw that out for any possible suggestions.
I have very limited space where I will install this and it needs to only have 3 positions on the switch as I most likely will not be able to see this but will have to go by "feel" of the switch.
Any ideas where I could get such a switch?

You can find them in any any electronics store online or local.
also on ebay
it will probably have more poles or more positions.

The only alternative i can think of is one switch on/off and a second as a selector for 12v and break light.
What is the connection with the 12V, you have an output going to the power supply?

Alex

---------- Post added at 02:18 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

ok, i think the 3 poles are the inputs and the one pole goes to your circuit,
so it is constant on, off, and light when brake is pushed.

Single Pole Double Throw -Center off switch... You don't need a rotary switch... You might also be able to find a single pole, triple (or greater) throw switch that would work for you as well.

Excellent
so this should work?

Radio Shack
DPDT with Center Off Heavy-Duty Toggle Switch
Model: 275-653 | Catalog #: 275-653

Yes a switch like this with 3 positions up(on1)-center(off)-down(on2) should do

Alex

Attachments

• SPDT101.jpg
    SPDT101.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 136

Status