Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can any body explain urn-around delay in RS485 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITP

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
RS485

Hi,

Can any body explain "turn-around delay" in RS485 Half duplex communication. How to take care of this delay.
Thank you
Itp

RS485

I do, quite simply, by waiting a certain period of time to allow the line to settle. In my case the network consists of 32 units, all talking asyncronously.
Take a look at SNAP protocol. It's free.
https://www.hth.com/snap/
I use my own protocol but SNAP looks good.
trace

Hi speed up until error,
than return to working speed

Anybody has the workable model or source code?

Rgds,
Jason :)

Hi trace_ru,
Thank you for your replay. You said all nodes are talking asyncronously, can you breif your protocol, and which rs485 IC you have used .

Thank you.

I use 75N176 as the driver (though I shojuld have used LTC1482 since it has carrier detect).
The protocol that I use is extremely simple:
<heared><length><source address><destination address><message><CRC>.
Messages require different types of replies (OK, not OK, status reply etc.) using the same packet format.
Nodes first listen to the network. When a period of inactivity is found, a node that wishes to talk to the network starts preudo-random wait cycle (related to the node address) and then if the line is still free - send the packet and waits for a reply. If no reply received, the transmit routine repeats 3 times before giving up.
SNAP has a better implementation but heavier (as far as the code is concerned).
trace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back