Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a relay be energized by both AC & DC voltage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can relays be energized by both AC and DC voltage ?

I have one that pulls in with DC, but found a spec sheet - for the series it's from - not the exact part - that suggests it's an AC relay ? Can't find my variac to test it with ... and can't find the relay for that matter right now - else I'd include the part number :(

Re: Can a relay be energized by both AC & DC voltage ?

Can relays be energized by both AC and DC voltage ?

I have one that pulls in with DC, but found a spec sheet - for the series it's from - not the exact part - that suggests it's an AC relay ? Can't find my variac to test it with ... and can't find the relay for that matter right now - else I'd include the part number :(

Relays coils can be used with DC and AC, just as manufacturer design relay.

Some relays have coils which can work on HV such as mains voltage at 220V/110V, other relays can have lower AC voltage such as 24V.

Its very important to run and use relay in manufacturer specification range.

Re: Can a relay be energized by both AC & DC voltage ?

Ooooops ... It appears the one relay I was playing with - Potter & Brumfield P25-E5017 - with coil terminals on opposite sides of the relay - doesn't like AC on the coil. Manufacturer says that series has coil voltages of 12 & 24 VDC, and 24, 120 & 240 VAC. Originally it would pull in at about ~20 VDC. I tried an AC voltage - going only to ~20 VAC. It never activated ... and now it wont activate until the coil gets about 26.5 VDC.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooooops ... It appears the one relay I was playing with - Potter & Brumfield P25-E5017 - with coil terminals on opposite sides of the relay - doesn't like AC on the coil. Manufacturer says that series has coil voltages of 12 & 24 VDC, and 24, 120 & 240 VAC. Originally it would pull in at about ~20 VDC. I tried an AC voltage - going only to ~20 VAC. It never activated ... and now it wont activate until the coil gets about 26.5 VDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back