Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can 89S be programmed using USBasp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can 89S programmed using USBasp?

The stk500.exe doesn't know or care whether the HEX file from a C or Assembly program.

You're building a commandline, so you can either enter your own commandline in a command window or write a simple batch file script.

**broken link removed**

Hope the info helps,

BigDog

Does anyone even know 100% for sure that the stk500.exe supports at89s8252?
I am certain stk500.exe supports 89s51/52 but not the at89s8252/at89s53.

progisp does support at89s8252, however your usbasp firmware must support this chip. I don't believe there is a version that does.( I Haven't seen it, forgive me if it does exist)

For older 89s8252 or even the 89s53 i use avrprog.exe (from atmel). It works well on an avr910 board (serial port or usb to serial cable).

Does anyone even know 100% for sure that the stk500.exe supports at89s8252?
I am certain stk500.exe supports 89s51/52 but not the at89s8252/at89s53.

You bring up a valid and important point ctownsend. Unfortunately, it appears the answer is No for the AT89S8252 and AT89S53.

If you run the command "stk500.exe -?", the list of compatible devices is displayed, AT89S51 and AT89S52 are the only AT89S devices listed.

BigDog

I ussually use Assembler to programmed 89S52, n I never use USBasp,
maybe we can using USPasp, but we must know interface that suitable for use USBasp.

Would it make sense if somebody compiles all the useful information from this thread into one DO IT YOURSELF so that it becomes a powerful useful tool that was (and is ) badly needed for USB based programmer for 8051 family.

I think i will do that and get back on this in a couple of days.

can the wrong fuse bits make the usb device unrecognised???

coz, fuse bit which is required to be burnt is Hfuse=C9 & Lfuse=EF & i cannot write them directly in digit.. so i searched for check box values..

as per this site: Setting fuse-bits on Atmel Atmega8 AVR at Louic's blog – about science and stuff
the pattern is

hfuse:
bit 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
name RSTDISBL WDTON SPIEN CKOPT EESAVE BOOTSZ1 BOOTSZ0 BOOTRST

lfuse:
bit 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
name BODLEVEL BODEN SUT1 SUT0 CKSEL3 CKSEL2 CKSEL1 CKSEL0

but as per this site:Engbedded AVR Fuse Calculator
it is different..
i'm confused which one is right... plz suggest me correct pattern & check box values..

got it.. the second one is right...
USBASP working fine now :)
thanks board members...

I dont think that at89s52 is programmable through usb, I have searched over the internet to see if I can get a circuit for this instead what I keep seeing is the circuit for rs232. It could be that the driver/firmware supports many hardware.

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 ----------

The problem is not using keil or not after all keil supports assembly language programming.If you can find a firmware that can drive the USB hardware then the problem is solved.

I dont think that at89s52 is programmable through usb, I have searched over the internet to see if I can get a circuit for this instead what I keep seeing is the circuit for rs232. It could be that the driver/firmware supports many hardware.

The AT89S52 most certainly can be programmed using a USB based programmer device.

I've personally used Atmel's AVRisp mkII in conjunction with STK500.exe application and KEIL uVision without any issues.

BigDog

anyone have tried used USBasp to program AT89S8253, I have tried to program S52 and success, but when program AT89S8253, it's say
program chip enable error. I'm using prog ISP as USBasp GUI.

The AT89S8253 may not be supported by either prog ISP or USBasp GUI?

You may need to confirm whether or not the AT89S8253 is supported.

BigDog

yes, in GUI it's support AT89S8253.
I Attach the GUI in my post

Attachments

• progisp172.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 135

The 89S8253 is supported by ProgISP1.68v too. I guess it should work well (Programmed by the Firmware modified USBasp) provided it is backed up by the Xtal, and Reset circuit.
Cheers

hi pranam, what sould modified in USBasp firmware, I have tried to make it possible

this is my firmware that I use.

Attachments

• Copy of usb51.rar
    169.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Januar1983
Can this firmware be used for programming 89S51,52 and 89S8253?

Januar1983
Can this firmware be used for programming 89S51,52 and 89S8253?

Yup, this firmware work well when programming 89s51,52, but not working for programing S8253

hi pranam, what sould modified in USBasp firmware, I have tried to make it possible. this is my firmware that I use.
The original firmware what is available from USB asp is not capable of programming 89Sxx. next came a new modified firmware whcih is a direct replacement to the later and when used with ProgISP was possible to program the 89Sxx series. What you use is the same what was found as a new firmware and it should work well. many have sucessfully done this which can be found on this thread with ample discussions.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back