Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calculation of Power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinosaur078

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear every body
i need to calculate power consumption of 1 circuit. my friend told me , i should connect my output of circuit with 1 capacitor with it's value is 5pF . then i will measure the current value and apply equation: P= u.i
could y pls explain to me , why i need connect my output of circuit with a capacitor with it's value is 5 pF

What is the circuit ? it all depends on the loading you are using your targeted circuit.
Better post the schematic and application.

dear vảunkant2k
it is just 1 VCO with only 1 output

- - - Updated - - -

this is my circuit 3.jpg

For any circuit, if you are going to characterize , you need to measure 2 parameters.
1. Quiescent current, 2. Full load current.
1=> Need no loading, and measure the total dc current and multiply it with the supply voltage. This will give you the Quiescent power consumption.
2=> Full load, (with load) you need to load targeted loading at the output node and then measure the supply current and multiply this with supply. It should give you total power consumption.

VCO generally loads to phase correction block and buffer.This all together may give capacitive loading in the range from 5p-10pF.So make assessment and add maximum output cap you expect.
Hope this will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.