Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating the required inductance of a welder rectifier coil???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustmote

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an AC "stick" welder. This is basically a large transformer where the primary coil is connected to 240V mains power, and the secondary has multiple taps with a switch to select a given tap and thus select a lower voltage level and thus given higher current level with which to weld.

I would like to build a rectifier for this welder to be used as an external accessory for certain types of welds. The way that these "rectifier" AC/DC stick welders work is that they are exactly the same as the ordinary AC-only version, but they employ a rectifier circuit consisting of a full wave diode bridge, with a small snubber/suppressor circuit to protect the diodes from voltage spikes, and an inductor coil or "choke" in series with the DC output of the rectifier circuit.

I have a diode bridge which is sufficient for the large currents present.

What I need to know is how to calculate the inductance required. I can make an inductor coil of any inductance value and current requirements, and I am aware of their design. But how do you calculate what inductance is needed???? I have heard that it is important to consider the output impedance of the transformer secondary for the given current selection.

I know that there must be simple formulae or ideas which will make all this clear. But I haven't been able to discover what questions to research or read about.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!!!

You want a Henry value which shows a greater impedance than your overall load, at the frequencies you want it to act.

Suppose your load is 1/2 ohm. Here is an online calculator.

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Inductor-impedance-calculator.php

I used the simulator first, and checked it against the calculator.

2770210600_1391528833.png

Brad, THANK YOU very much for the response :D ........ Like I said, I knew I was starting to head in the general direction of the answer I needed, but I didn't know just what the next step was.

I have much appreciated your posts and especially your helpful simulations over time, particularly in the Power Electronics forum.

Thanks for being such a helpful and valuable member of this site. Your work inspires others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back