Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating the needed power and compatible driver specifics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongtong

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to calculate the needed power to light up 6 cool white and 6 white HPL chip like this ?
what is the compatible driver specifics to light up 6 cool white and 6 white HPL chip like this ? IMG20200613181118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

simply add the power up.

One sticker says 3W, the other says 5W.

Klaus

i wanted to light up 12 all of them with series circuit board without burning the HPL chips
i want to know what is the suitable driver specification to light 12 all of them
down below is my circuit board for the HPL LED chipIMG20210509133523.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20200613144521.jpg
    IMG20200613144521.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:

Do all your led's use the same amount of current?
If not then it's better to make one string of the 3W only (with its own driver), and a second string of the 5W only (with its own driver).

What is your power source? Calculating from the stated specs you need 48 Watts. Voltage is not stated. There are step-down converters from house voltage. There are step-up converters from 12V battery power.

Hi

My recommendation:
Don't connect different type of LEDs in series (unless you know why and what you are doing)
Every LED needs some external device to limit the current.
This usually is built in in so called "LED driver" supplies.
Buy a LED driver which outputs no more than the max specified LED current.

Klaus

Hi

My recommendation:
Don't connect different type of LEDs in series (unless you know why and what you are doing)
Every LED needs some external device to limit the current.
This usually is built in in so called "LED driver" supplies.
Buy a LED driver which outputs no more than the max specified LED current.

Klaus
so i can't light up different type of HPL LED chip all in one series board
--- Updated ---

so what is the best power rating to light up 12 all of them at once

Last edited:

You can wire IDENTICAL LEDs (3W or 5W) in series, the total voltage needed is the sum of each LEDs forward voltage. You still need to limit the current they can draw from the supply.

You can parallel more of those series circuits, including that circuits current limiting.

What you can't do is mix the different LED types or omit the current limiting or wire individual LEDs in parallel.

So you need to treat the 3W ones and the 5W ones differently. We can't tell from the photographs how the LEDs are connected on the PCB.

Brian.

how to calculate the needed power rating to light up 6 cool white and 6 white HPL chip like this ?
what is the compatible driver specific to light up 6 cool white and 6 white HPL chip like this ?
the 2nd image is the circuit assembly the order is the even row is 5 watts cool white HPL LED chip and the odd row is 3 watts white HPL LED chip
what is the compatible amps volt watts or other power rating in dc current do i need turn on 12 all of the HPL LED chip ?
also is the driver on the 3rd image that i use is too strong because it started to flickering when i turn it on ?

Attachments

• IMG20200613181118.jpg
    IMG20200613181118.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG20200613144521.jpg
    IMG20200613144521.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG20200613144704.jpg
    IMG20200613144704.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40

Status
Not open for further replies.