Status
Not open for further replies.

tajiknomi

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an OpAmp which states that its Input Offset Voltage is 2mV typical but I want to practically calculate the actual offset it will have at the room temperature. So I have connected the circuit in the following manner on the breadboard.

The Ouput voltage i got is 4.4mV, so does this means that the input offset in practice at the current temperature is (Output Offset / Gain) i.e 4.4mV/2V2 => 2mv ?

P.S : I also measure the output of 72mV when i connected the Inverting and non-Inverting inputs directly to ground. When i left the input both open(floating), the output comes out to be 50~54mV

Last edited:

Hi,

If you want to calculate output offset from datasheet, then you need to take care about input_bias_current, too.

Assuming input bias current is negligible:
Your circuit shows a gain for offset (and input referred noise) of (22k +10k) / 10k) = 3.2
So in your case the input refferred offset voltag is 4.4mV / 3.2 = 1.375mV.

i connected the Inverting and non-Inverting inputs directly to ground
This gives no meanigful result. This method is useless.

Klaus

Your circuit shows a gain for offset (and input referred noise) of (22k +10k) / 10k) = 3.2
So in your case the input refferred offset voltag is 4.4mV / 3.2 = 1.375mV.

What is input referred noise ? The gain shouldn't be Rf/Rin = 22k/10k=>2.2 in the above case ?

i connected the Inverting and non-Inverting inputs directly to ground
That was just to know how the OpAmp behaves when both the inputs are applied the same PD, i.e. Zero in this case

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: KlausS you are right, By neglecting the input bias current, Vout/Vin comes out to be (10k+22k)/10k according to the above schematic.

I think they called that the output offset voltage. :wink:

Is the op amp a rail to rail input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…