Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating PCB trace length for USB and UART

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, in the document "UltraScale Architecture PCB Design UG583 (v1.25)", the requirements for PCB and package delays are described on page 180, see attachment.

I am calculating the PCB trace length with the given time in attachment and by considering the speed of signal in FR4 15 cm /ns.

UART
• Keep MIO trace delays below 1.30 ns: Does this means that the PCB trance length on Tx and Rx should be within length = speed x time = 15 cm / ns x 1.3 ns = 19.5 cm ?

USB 2.0
ULPI Interface (60 MHz)
• PCB and package delays should be kept to 1.30 ns or below: Does this means that the PCB trance length on USB signals should be within length = speed x time = 15 cm / ns x 1.3 ns = 19.5 cm ? • PCB and package delay skews for DATA[7:0]/DIR/NXT/STP and CLK should be within ±100 ps: Is that related to the length matching ? Meaning that the length mismatch between USB signals has to be within length = speed x time = 15 cm / ns x 0.1 ns = 1.5 cm ?

Attachments

• Untitled 183.png
    Untitled 183.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 91

Hi,

sadly you just give a screenshot, a tiny bit of a datasheet.

UART: My first question: what does MIO mean? It talks about MIO trace length.
Considered that UART cables can be several meters long ... I don´t see why the Rx and Tx trace length should be restricted.

Klaus

Hi, MIO is multiplexed I/O at the processor available on ZYNQ and I guess the are talking about the length of traces and delays on the PCB and not the external cables. The document "UltraScale Architecture PCB Design UG583 (v1.25)" is actually a PCB design guide for ZYNQ Ultrascale.

I’m with Klaus, I can’t see any reason for that 1.3nS delay limit. But, a PCB trace has a nominal delay of 85 pS/ inch, so you can have a pretty long trace and still meet this requirement.

Hi,

I guess the are talking about the length of traces and delays on the PCB and not the external cables.
What´s the idea behind it?
What´s the difference of trace length on a PCB and a wire length in a cable?
What´s the difference if the delay is generated on the PCB and in the cable?

Delay of a Tx or Rx signal does not matter at all in an asynchronous UART interface.

Without further information .. I call such restrictions as nonsense.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back