Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating magnetic field strength for a solenoid at 5 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaslsh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I am working on a side project at work that I am not too familiar with so I thought I'd reach out for some advice. At the start I was told we needed to create a setup which could produce a magnetic field with a strength of 200 Gauss with 5% uniformity over a 1mm^3 volume. Initially I thought it was going to be a simple DC current to produce a static field B field. I proceeded by creating a simple MATLAB script that would add up a bunch of biot-savart approximations for a helmholtz coil setup. (I did something very similar for this group in the past which is why I assumed DC).
1620872684223.png
1620872884595.png

The above picture cheaply illustrates the setup we are using. We are interested in the strength and uniformity of the B field within the red sample. To achieve a good field uniformity a Helmholtz pair of coils is used. To create the coils we are wrapping 32 gauge transformer wire around a 3D printed bobbin. Imagine the bobbins used in sowing machines with a hollow space in the middle (picture on the right is just an example). Using the script it was easy enough to come up with a number of turns, distance between the coils, and current needed to produce the needed field. Below is plotting the field strength as a function of position from the center of the coil setup.
1620872928724.png

However, when I presented these results today i was informed we would need to drive these coils at 5 MHz. This lead to so many questions, and I was too flustered at the time to ask the right questions.
1) Putting aside impedance at the moment, are my biot-savart approximations still valid at frequencies > 0 Hz? Would the same 330 mA calculated for DC produce the same field strength at 5MHz assuming the same current?
1620873376310.png
1620873456100.png

2) The inductance of a single coil is pretty huge, and in the Helmholtz configuration I have 2 in series! The impedance of these coils at 5 MHz looks to be around 700Kohms. Clearly I would some sort of matching network to drive this?
3) Someone in the meeting suggesting created a tank circuit with a cap of similar impedance, and somehow that would increase my field strength while also lowing the required current? In my mind I thought it should be a series RC in order to resonate a short circuit at 5 MHz making it easy to push current. However, the person was pretty adamant it should be a parallel RC circuit to help? How would this help and how could i recalculate the field strength given the presence of the resonant tank circuit?

Happy to provide more context to help out,
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Would the same 330 mA calculated for DC produce the same field strength at 5MHz assuming the same current?

Yes; why do you think otherwise?
Clearly I would some sort of matching network to drive this?
Matching network is needed for efficiency.
and somehow that would increase my field strength while also lowing the required current?
Can you please be clearer on this point?

First conclusion from your calculation is that a 400 turns coil is just infeasible at 5 MHz because it relates to several 100 kV coil voltage and a self resonance frequency far below 5 MHz.

Restart with a low number of turns (1 - 5). Not sure if you end up with a feasible design, but there's a least a chance.

Use real FEM modelling for the coil instead of a simplified inductance calculator. It also gives realistic results for skin and proximity losses. Consider liquid cooling, e.g. using copper tubes for the coil.

5MHz is not an ISM frequency, so you need a license to transmit there. The nearest ISM frequency is 6.78MHz.

There is a 1kW WPT design where you can find information about coil dimensions and values for this frequency.
They use 160nH coil inductors (66 mm diameter) resonating with 3.3nF capacitors.

Attachments

• 6.78MHz.jpg
    6.78MHz.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 113

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back