Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calculate thermal cresistance of heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

zohre

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every body
i have a question about how can calculate thermal resistance of heatsinks under natural convection air and forced air (both of them) if the equation independent of temperature and depends to physical dimension of hestsink.
thanks

I would primarly rely on heatsink manufacturer data.

In addition you find empirical heat transfer formulas for various surface forms in technical thermodynamics text books, used e.g. to design heat exchangers. As thermodynamic properties of fluids, e.g. air are temperature dependent to some extent, heat sink thermal resistance will be, too. Other parameters like exact flow pattern will probably matter more.

For answers to your many questions find a good book on heat sink design.
You can calculate many things but in real life, a good test is best.

In my projects I estimated the power to be lost in an enclosure, and put a light bulb as a heating resistor (car lamp bulbs are suitable). Then I put a thermometer inside, an switched the power on.
During 3-4 hours I recorder temperature readings. If the top temperature exceeded 50 deg.C (most components are specified for it_), I had to design an improved cooling like a fan or a heat sink with fins protruding outside. And another run to confirm the design.
I never erred by this procedure.

thanks a lot for their answer.
but i have know how calculate thermal resistance in terms of physical characterize and independent of temperature or power dissipated or without testing, when the length of heat sink is changed as shown in many company e.g. Fischer electronic. it plot thermal resistance Vs. length of heat sink . the method shown in thread "Heat sink thermal resistance calculation" used forced convection not natural convection. for natural convection there is not velocity. ???
thanks

thanks FvM
It was helpful. and about thermal resistance equation and Rayleigh number. what are them??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back