Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] CADSTAR : Attribute types in libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

waljit

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

A question about attribute type names in libraries.

It seems to me there are (at least) 3 different "formats" for attributes added to a parts definition in the cadstar libraries. I was wondering what the differences were, does it matter which method you use, and are there any particular advantages or disadvantages to each?

For example, for a simple attribute for the value of a part (resistor here) could be defined as

$Value (10K)

or

@!Value (10K)

or even

~!Value (10K)

Yes, I am still using notepad to edit libraries - I really should move over to the GUI soon!

thanks alot!
Waljit

- - - Updated - - -

I think I answered my own question - the GUI helped ;-)

$ = of type symbol
@ = of type symbol and component
~ = of type part definition
and suffix with ! makes the attribute read only

The only question that remains, which to use, and when?

Thanks
Waljit

Attributes are very useful, congrats on finding out how the text library is defined however it's better to use the GUI these days as it has lots of error checking in it.

There are different "usages" of attributes depending upon where you want to use them.

Symbol = only available on a schematic, can be edited in the schematic. Value is an example of this.
(Note - VALUE and Value are different things in the CADSTAR library, just duplicate the contents in them.)

Component = Only available on the component, in the PCB.

"Symbol and Component" = Used on both the schematic symbol and the PCB component.

The three above are editable within the scm\pcb if needs be.

The last 2 types are:
Part Definition & Part Library.

Part Definition = information that cannot be displayed on your schematic or PCB nor edited in either but can be seen within the attribute editor in them.
This is used for information's such as "Manufacturers name" Manufacturers order code" suppliers name, order code and so on.
All Hyperlinks are this type of attribute.

Parts Library = This type is not used by CADSTAR, so there is no point in using it as Part Definition achieves the same thing.

If you make a symbol or component attribute read only then it can i.e. be seen on the schematic but not modified except within the part library itself.

These attributes are library attributes, there are several other types of attribute
Whatever you do, do not mix your attribute types in multiple library files (cannot make parts index then), also if you change the type of an attribute once it has been bought into a design then its a PITA to get rid of it.

I use both ways, both have their advantages, text based for creating basic libs and adding big lists such as E96 resistors, GUI for most other stuff.

Thanks for the help guys - all sorted now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back