Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Cadence Virtuoso and MMSIM installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am totally new to this linux. installed for the frst tym for the sake of cadence. i am havng prob in the step 4. of installation process. it says--

4) Open a c shell command terminal as root user and install the following package

Code:
sudo apt-get install libelf1
sudo apt-get install ksh
sudo apt-get install nscd
sudo apt-get install policykit
sudo apt-get install ureadahead
sudo apt-get install csh
sudo apt-get install lsb

now i am unable to open c shell command terminal as root user and cnt understand hw to install. I know these r vry vry basic n i sud knw, bt i hv tried n learning by the time. so pls nyone help me wd this..

Thnaks in advance...

I followed the post and installed virtuoso and mmsim, but when I launch try to simulate the circuit I get the following error.

ERROR (ADE-3036): Errors encountered during simulation. The simulator run log has not been generated.
Possible cause could be an invalid command line option for the version of the simulator
you are running. Choose Setup->Environment and verify that the command line options
specified in the userCmdLineOption field are supported for the simulator.
Alternatively, run the simulator standalone using the runSimulation file in the netlist
directory to know the exact cause of the error.

Please note that I have not specified any command line options and also the netlist directory is never getting created.

I also got error ADE-3036 while running simulation.

ERROR (ADE-3036): Errors encountered during simulation. The simulator run log has not been generated.
Possible cause could be an invalid command line option for the version of the simulator
you are running. Choose Setup->Environment and verify that the command line options
specified in the userCmdLineOption field are supported for the simulator.
Alternatively, run the simulator standalone using the runSimulation file in the netlist
directory to know the exact cause of the error.

For those who have solved the issue with verilog-a. I have a question.

I'm trying to simulate a random number generator (for a signal whose sign should be random also). The code of the block is presented below:
Code:
// VerilogA for Example, RdnGen, veriloga

`include "constants.vams"
`include "disciplines.vams"

module RdnGen(out);

output out;
electrical out;

integer randn;
integer sign;

analog begin

randn = $random % 100;
sign = (randn > 0) ? 1:-1;

V(out) <+ randn;

@(initial_step)

$strobe

("Rand\t\t",randn,
"\n", "Sign\t\t", sign,
"\n\n\n\n\n");

end
endmodule

When I run a DC operating point in the newly installed 6.1.5 it always generates the same number every single time but if I run it in 5.1.0 it effectively randomizes the number. I think is something related with the workaround to make this version to compile the ahdl files. Could anybody else try and run this block to see whether you get the same behavior ?

Thanks a lot,

Lucho.

Last edited:

These steps worked great! Thanks.

Can someone please explain how to install the NCSU CDK. The steps on the NCSU wiki do not work for me. Am I doing something wrong.

Thanks a ton!

CDK should not be a problem

for the sake of uniformity I recommend you download and unzip the file in /home/<user>

step 1:

create the $CDK_DIR environment variable in your .bashrc pointing to where you unzipped the CDK. The path should point to the folder that contains the bin, cdssetup, models (and others) directories.

step 2:

copy

DEFINE NCSU_Analog_Parts $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_Analog_Parts
DEFINE NCSU_Digital_Parts $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_Digital_Parts
--DEFINE MOSIS_Layout_Test $CDK_DIR/lib/MOSIS_Layout_Test
DEFINE NCSU_TechLib_ami06 $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_TechLib_ami06
DEFINE NCSU_TechLib_ami16 $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_TechLib_ami16
DEFINE NCSU_TechLib_hp06 $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_TechLib_hp06
DEFINE NCSU_TechLib_tsmc02 $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_TechLib_tsmc02
DEFINE NCSU_TechLib_tsmc02d $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_TechLib_tsmc02d
DEFINE NCSU_TechLib_tsmc03 $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_TechLib_tsmc03
DEFINE NCSU_TechLib_tsmc03d $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_TechLib_tsmc03d
DEFINE NCSU_TechLib_tsmc04_4M2P $CDK_DIR/lib/NCSU_TechLib_tsmc04_4M2P

to your cds.lib file, which is located in your cadence working directory (wherever you launch virtuoso).

step 3:

Enjoy

step 4:

Do not forget to add the proper model libraries in the Analog Design Environment whenever you want to simulate. To do this, in ADE go to setup > Model libraries and browse for the location of the models (with file extension .m)

I wonder if there is a way in which all the model libraries are preloaded by default everytime I run virtuoso. Any hints here very much appreciated.

BONUS:

If you want to work with layout, also copy the cdsinit file contained in the cdssetup folder of the CDK to your working directory and rename it to .cdsinit. It will mess up the pop up menus but will allow you to see all the colors in the layout palette.

Regards,

Lucho.

Lucho,

Thanks a lot! Worked great. I've been using Cadence provided by my university, and the model libraries are preloaded by default. I'm very poor at Linux, but I can tell you there is some way out there to do it. :D

Thank you so much, again!

I'm trying to install Cadence IC615 in CentOS, do I need to follow the same procedure as for Ubuntu?

Ok, now it is working under Ubuntu 12.04 64 Bit. I used to 64 Bit patch under tools of MMSim and Virtuoso.

But if I use a Verilog Model in the simulation, I get the following error:

Error found by spectre during AHDL read-in.

ahdlcmi.out-Output:

I set the checkbox "Run with 64 bit binary" under Setup->Environment.

Any ideas? I'll try to find out and post my results.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok,

after sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash (choosing no) and
sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib

I get the following error:

I added my gnu-lib folder to LIBRARY_PATH but it doesn't solve the problem.

Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

With the hints from

https://www.cadence.com/Community/blogs/sd/archive/2012/01/02/ubuntu-updates-for-2011.aspx

I got the following error =):

Both library exists. I have to find out why the libraries are incompatible.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, now it works fine. Instead /usr/lib32 I added /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. The library path in cdsgcc looks now:

View attachment 100578
View attachment 100579
View attachment 100580

It worked for me. Thanks so much.

Hi, after having read the post about the installation of Cadence Virtuoso IC615 and MMSIM on Debian I decided to try to install on my pc.
I have Debian Wheezy 7.5 installed and followed precisely the steps in the post #1 for the installation and in post #7 and #77 for the specific consideration for Debian, and everything went as described in the post mentioned.
When I firstly tried to lauch the command virtuoso on terminal got this error:
virtuoso: ERROR: The command /home/mirco/edatools/virtuoso/oa_v22.41.029/bin/sysname returned an error status:
unknown
virtuoso: INFO: Note that OpenAccess (OA) requires running the Configure phase.
virtuoso: See the "OpenAccess Installation and Configuration Guide" before
virtuoso: you complete the configuration step. This manual is included with
virtuoso: the Cadence product documentation.
So I followed the steps in post #7 (as suggested in post #77) but when I replaced the 'original' sysname file ,with the one downloaded from https://pastebin.com/rna3Y4nk ,into edatools/virtuoso/oa_v22.41.029/bin/sysname and tried to lauch again the command virtuoso on terminal I got another error saying:
mirco@debian:~$ virtuoso
virtuoso: ERROR: The command /home/mirco/edatools/virtuoso/oa_v22.41.029/bin/sysname returned an error status:
/home/mirco/edatools/virtuoso/tools/dfII/bin/virtuoso[81]: .[260]: /home/mirco/edatools/virtuoso/oa_v22.41.029/bin/sysname: not found [No such file or directory]
I've also made adjustments into the .bashrc file and mmsim.dat and virtuoso.dat changing obviously the name of the user from eda to mirco.
Is there anyone who can help me?
Mircusx

I'm new here, and do not have many experience with cadence. I was able to install cadence IC 6.16. But, I do not know, how I can install the FreePDK45 or to import it into cadence.

could any body of you tell me please, how to install it (step by step)?

Thanks
Ala

For what concerns about my previous post I would like to tell the community that I was finally able to make a successful installation on Debian Wheezy 7.5. I've also tried to install on Xubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17 Cinammon and worked perfect too. Just follow the instructions on the posts #1 #7 and #77.
Mircusx

Hi,
I have some doubt manikantaxyz, please help me

As per your instruction for the installation, I tried to find the link for downloading IC615. But I did not find, so I downloaded from cadence official site. I have installed that with iscape , after successfully installed it, I edited the .bashrc file as you have mentioned.

But after executing the command "virtuoso", the for some moment, the cadence CIW window appeared , and then it is unable to start , with following error message in the command terminal :
*ERROR* (DB-320001): Unable to get the Cadence(R) Design Framework II license feature of "111".
What is the possible solution.
I check the license file, the port address is 5280, so I gave same value in the .bashrc file.
Please help.

I installed it in cent OS 6.5. but i get an error when liscensing virtuoso and mmsim same as @kami7jun. can anyone help me out. i'm using x64 OS.

Thanks alot.

You can ignore error while executing sfk "failed to read+write sfk". I was able to install mmsim and IC615 in centOS 6.5 x86_64 and it works without any error.

After pasting the file with your file given in the below link, i get this error please help me out

root@AB:/home/abhinand/cds_work# virtuoso: ERROR: The command /home/abhinand/edatools/virtuoso/oa_v22.41.022/bin/sysname returned an error status:
/home/abhinand/edatools/virtuoso/tools/dfII/bin/virtuoso[78]: .[259]: /home/abhinand/edatools/virtuoso/oa_v22.41.022/bin/sysname: cannot execute [Permission denied]

[1]+ Exit 1 virtuoso

Thanks
Abhinand

its on ubuntu 13 32bit OS.
it had to do with the script not detecting it was linux.

replace the file "edatools/virtuoso/oa_v22.41.029/bin/sysname" with:
https://pastebin.com/rna3Y4nk

that will force the detection to linux 3.x

I did fix the issue, thanks for a great thread on detailed step by step instructions.

Hi all,

Installing IC615 into virtuoso folder went fine, but the configuration failed. Can someone please help fixing this issue.

Thanks.

I got same ERROR (ADE-3036), but I have solved this by
1) install libreadline5
2) go to ADE-->Setup-->Environment Options, thick "Run With 64 bit binary" option

Status
Not open for further replies.