Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence VCO how to find total capacitance at the source of the nmos cross couple pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestvlsi

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have to find out the total capacitance at the source node of the cross coupled nmos pair in an LC VCO.

I am using Cadence.I ve done the dc analysis and print--> operating point which is showing different types of capacitances like Cgs, Csg ,Cjs, Cssbi etc. and also Css. Now for finding out the total capacitance at the source node do I have to add these capacitances . I think that Css represents the total capacitance but I am not sure. Moreover would like a confirmation that after getting the Source Capacitance for an NMOS ... I've to multiply by 2 to get the total capacitance ( because there are 2 NMOS transistors cross coupled and connected at the source for an LC VCO )...am I right?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards.

A very practical way is to inject a unit (1A) ac current (via a huge cap -- in order not to short circuit the node bias) into the node, run an ac analysis and plot the ac voltage at this node -- which directly represents the node impedance in Ohms -- vs. frequency. From this representation you can calculate the total node capacitance.

A very practical way is to inject a unit (1A) ac current (via a huge cap -- in order not to short circuit the node bias) into the node, run an ac analysis and plot the ac voltage at this node -- which directly represents the node impedance in Ohms -- vs. frequency. From this representation you can calculate the total node capacitance.

Hi erikl, Thanks a lot. I've tried and found the value... Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back