Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cadence under linux environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoonsk

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I used to run Cadence sim under SUN Unix environment. Recently, we get converted to Linux RedHat environment. Under SUN, for each cadence window, we can minimize the window into an icon(which has a small picture) and I can conveniently organize the icons at different parts of the screen. With Linux, it minimize window into a small bar and placed it fixed at the bottom of the screen (and I can't move it around). Either that or I can "shade" the window by rolling the window into its long terminal bar, which allows me to move it around. However, the bar is huge, occupying alot of space and the picture info is very limited.
I wonder if there are any Cadence user under Linux environment can have a convenient way to iconize the cadence window (e.g. waveform, ADE windows).

Thanks !
Richard

edacw1

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The bar can be hided. Which version of Linux did you install?

hoonsk

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
edacw1 said:
The bar can be hided. Which version of Linux did you install?

Hi,
I'm using the company's LINUX system to run cadence. May I know how could I find out which version ? Is there a command to type ?
By the way, we have KDE & GNOME for the LINUX.
Another problem is the cadence icon on the bar is small and blur, and sometimes it only showed a "blank page". Unlike in the SUN system, it is not very useful. If you have opened alot of waveform, ADE, schematics window, I think you would appreciate this feature, i.e. to have a good icon.

Thanks,
Richard

meitolake

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
On Solaris, the desktop is Common Desktop Environment (CDE). CDE is not a free software, so Linux distribution does not contain CDE.
But you can use mwm -- The Motif Window Manager, if you have installed Open Motif. You will see the icon that which you needed.

hoonsk

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
meitolake said:
On Solaris, the desktop is Common Desktop Environment (CDE). CDE is not a free software, so Linux distribution does not contain CDE.
But you can use mwm -- The Motif Window Manager, if you have installed Open Motif. You will see the icon that which you needed.

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion.
It seems that we have to remove KDE or GNOME, in order to install mwm ?
I don't think our company IT group likes that and wouldn't support that including VMware on that system.
I wonder if there is an easier method, maybe installing a program on top of KDE or GNOME ?

Thanks !
Richard

edacw1

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I mean which company's product the Linux is? Redhat, SUSE or others?

edacw1

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The baseline version of Linux for Cadence is RHEL 2.1 or 3.0.

nafraf

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

You can use another windowmanager different from KDE and GNOME, there are some that don't have window bar, are free and are easy to use. Try WindowMaker, or xfce, are simple programs and simple to install.

Best regards..

hoonsk

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Thanks nafraf,
But I cannot just uninstall the KDE or GNOME & install another windowmanager because this is on company computer system. I wonder if there is just an add-on program to KDE or GNOME to produce icons for the Cadence (just like the SUN system) ?

Thanks,
Richard

nafraf said:
Hi,

You can use another windowmanager different from KDE and GNOME, there are some that don't have window bar, are free and are easy to use. Try WindowMaker, or xfce, are simple programs and simple to install.

Best regards..

hoonsk

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Thanks nafraf,

It does looks like what I want. Yes, I just want it to become an icon when minimize instead of taskbar. So that I can move the icon around anywhere in the window.
I am discussing the solution with our IT support and see if it is do-able. It seems like we need to install the wxbasic first.

Thanks,
Richard

nafraf said:
Hi hoonsk,

I did a google search and find a post in other forum:
http://wxbasic.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4214&sid=15984bbeecf9f9e12ef2e6ec4f616136

You can download the application from:
**broken link removed**

It seems that it is what you want, I hope this helps.

Best regards

hoonsk

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
maninnet said:
what version you are using?

ver4.0

My sysadmin claimed that the software is old and not worth their time to figure out how to compile it. Anyone has anymore advice ?

Thanks,
Richard

calm

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
at least red hat linux 8.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.