Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence To Support 64 Bit Linux On AMD64

Status
Not open for further replies.

gezzas525

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Like I said before, it was on a roadmap I saw. Cadence has started releasing 64-bit Programs for Linux/Opteron. Others will follow due to demand.

Cadence To Support 64 Bit Linux On AMD64
Reported by: Chris Tom At: 11:34 AM Source: Businesswire
Cadence has announced support of 64 bit Linux on AMD64.
Cadence Design Systems, Inc (NYSE:CDN) today announced it will release key products of the Cadence(R) Encounter(TM) digital IC design platform on the AMD64 processor-based systems running 64-bit Linux. The move -- a response to customer demand -- will offer customers the increased capacity and high performance needed to implement complex, system-on-chip (SoC) designs and is part of the company's strategy to provide a wide range of options and operating systems to meet customers' design needs.
"The Cadence Encounter-AMD Opteron processor combination gives a technical advantage to the demanding EDA engineering community who are designing extremely complex silicon products," said Ben Williams, director, server/workstation business segment, AMD's Microprocessor Business Unit. "Cadence solutions ported to AMD Opteron(TM) processor-based systems help address the increasing design computing capacity and performance needs of our joint customers."

KLEO

And what about IA64?
I think cadence should have now prepared the needed package for Intel's Ittanium?

Is it faster or more accurate?

maybe faster for some critical jobs, such as simulation, but not go 2x than 32 bit platforms.
most tools releases both 32bit and 64bit version on sun platform, i feel they are almost same fast. :-(

Forget Itanium, no one wants to know, yes if the OS, drivers and EDA software are there then its a faster platform. Unfortunetly it has come to late for it to be considered, maybe if it came 5 years earlier then it would of had a chance. The HW is much more expensive than the SUN BLADES and the IBM POWER series and the performance advantage is not justified in my opinion. I wouldnt put my trust in the Itanium series ever, it takes too much money and effort to port the software and the end results do not show that.

Iam not sure even if Cadence would ever port software to Itanium given that very few systems are around, if it did it would probably because one of the MAJOR silicon manufacturers(INTEL, AMD, IBM) told them to. Opteron will be the next platform due to demand from engineers alike.

okguy said:
Is it faster or more accurate?

Not much faster, but it support bigger design. 32 bit limitatation is 4GB

gezzas525 said:
Forget Itanium, no one wants to know, yes if the OS, drivers and EDA software are there then its a faster platform. Unfortunetly it has come to late for it to be considered, maybe if it came 5 years earlier then it would of had a chance. The HW is much more expensive than the SUN BLADES and the IBM POWER series and the performance advantage is not justified in my opinion. I wouldnt put my trust in the Itanium series ever, it takes too much money and effort to port the software and the end results do not show that.

Who care about your opinion? Intel Itanium will beat Opteron soon.

I doubt it, seriously doubt it. Theres no interest in Itanium as far as Iam aware, the platform came too late. And the machines costs double what a SUN BLADE costs, of which has the largest support. Even though the Itanium is faster engineers wont just drop thier current platform and purchase Itanium system, it doesnt work like that.

1) Itanium too expensive.
2) Software is non-existant.
3) Performance not justified with price tag when compared to POWER or BLADE or OPTERON machines.

Opteron will be succesfull because its a 64-bit platform, its affordable, its fast, it has a phenominal memory subsystem (NUMA) and high memory capacity and most importantly it has USER DEMAND. Itanium has NO USER DEMAND thats why DELL stoped advetising them as thier was no interest. So please explain to me how Itanium will beat Opteron if no one is interested in it. Intel thought they would rule the world with Itanium and were still waiting.....

You can look at :
**broken link removed**

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. — With two separate announcements this week (Jan. 21), Cadence Design Systems is rolling out its first support for 64-bit Linux. A Monday announcement cited support for Intel Itanium 2-based systems, and a Wednesday announcement pledged support for AMD64 Opteron processors.

Several products in Cadence's Encounter digital IC implementation platform are available on 64-bit Linux on Itanium 2 platforms now. These include First Encounter Ultra, Nano Encounter, SoC Encounter, NanoRoute Ultra, CeltIC, and SignalStorm. Cadence will move products from its Incisive functional verification platform and Virtuoso custom design platform onto Linux-based Itanium 2 platforms later in 2004.

Cadence is also promising to move key products from Encounter to AMD64 processor-based systems in the first quarter of 2004. These will be followed by products from the Incisive and Virtuoso platforms.

Cadence currently supports 32-bit Linux for its entire product suite, and offers 64-bit products for all major Unix operating systems.

OK OK, so they have ported a few tools. I still dont see Itanium as a platform, it has alot less support than the SUN machines and at least twice the price tag. And further more theres no significant demand for Itanium, DELL stoped selling them long ago due to "NO INTEREST" as I remember. The only other player is HP. Like I said before Itanium 2 came too late. Keep in mind Itanium platform has been out for nearly 10 years and still only now is software beginning to trickle in. 10 years for gods sake!! its been H/W problems one after the other, Intel should scrap it and start again there focus is more on marketing like the new P4 hitting 4GHz cough cough err what using a 30 stage pipeline??

gezzas525 said:
OK OK, so they have ported a few tools. I still dont see Itanium as a platform, it has alot less support than the SUN machines and at least twice the price tag. And further more theres no significant demand for Itanium, DELL stoped selling them long ago due to "NO INTEREST" as I remember. The only other player is HP. Like I said before Itanium 2 came too late. Keep in mind Itanium platform has been out for nearly 10 years and still only now is software beginning to trickle in. 10 years for gods sake!! its been H/W problems one after the other, Intel should scrap it and start again there focus is more on marketing like the new P4 hitting 4GHz cough cough err what using a 30 stage pipeline??
What are you talking about? Intel is the de facto standard CPU maker. AMD is just a PC CPU cloner

A cloner yeah right, who has the memory controller on the CPU.
The memory design came from CRAY by the way. You can think what you want about Itanium frankly I dont care, no one cares because thier not interested in it. Its a waste of money proting anything to Itanium IMO, you get nothing in return. Intel should scrap it and start again, they should be embarased of a product that had so many problems, is so underpowered, costs too much and is difficult to port software too. Cadence releases the same tool 10 years after Itaniums release yet only several months after Opteron.

Hold on guys, from your discussions, I still don't know what I get when buying one of your 64bits CPU ?!?
A little faster ... maybe!
I ran some simulations on a 4-cpu platform, it is really faster !!!

I am not running any EDA on linux but from what i heared that itanium Is bugy.
Some vendors are waiting for ITANIUM. AMD is much ahead so thouse who are not patient and find AMD attractive, have products ported on amd for long time.

gezzas525 said:
A cloner yeah right, who has the memory controller on the CPU.
The memory design came from CRAY by the way. You can think what you want about Itanium frankly I dont care, no one cares because thier not interested in it. Its a waste of money proting anything to Itanium IMO, you get nothing in return. Intel should scrap it and start again, they should be embarased of a product that had so many problems, is so underpowered, costs too much and is difficult to port software too. Cadence releases the same tool 10 years after Itaniums release yet only several months after Opteron.

Maybe Cadence will soon face another port to Intel's CT, whose 64 bit extension is not compatible with AMD's. :p

Which will win??AMD 64 or Intel 64??

Any Opinion and interesting prediction??

Intel CT is compatible however dont expect ANY performance gains with INTEL CT, the CT is a current xeon with 64-bit extensions only. Theres no other changes such as on die memory controller, faster bus speeds/memory or interconnects like hypertransport. In terms of performance forget it. The mommentum for Opteron has allready started and we are slowly seeing software being ported. One thing I should mention a few weeks ago the 800 series chips were slashed in price and I hear there are QUAD CPU workstations on the way with AGP Pro slots. Considering the performance of even DUAL Opterons and now it will be posssible to buy a QUAD Opteron for abit more than a SUN BLADE 2500, I know where my money is going. Intel is more or less out of the picture for now, the Itanium is a joke, the prescot is also a joke and thier in a panic trying to get a 64-bit CPU to the market ASAP. The only way for INTEL now is to scrap Itanium and CT and start from scratch right from the beggining. IBM and AMD are moving past INTEL now whether people like it or not.

Reasonable. Yes, Intel is left behind now in the workstation and server market from a technology view. But being faster is not always the most decisive point to win the market.

Yeah, anyway, we all like to see more competitors, more architectures in this field, which drive this industry to the better.

I wasnt foccusing on speed alone. INTEL is behind, yes ITANIUM is fast blah blah blah but its difficult to work with, buggy and expensive and the performance you get out of the effort isnt worth the hassle for doing anything with ITANIUM. Then we have the CT, again nothing new just a xeon with some extensions, IMO performance wont be there and this is suppose to feed of Opteron! lets see what happens when the QUAD Opteron workstations appear in march/april where ITANIUM gona be.

Status
Not open for further replies.