Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence & Sizing of Capacitor for Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPotter999

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Group,

I am completely new to Cadence and AMS for layout but have been given an assignment to design a Butterworth filter and had various questions regarding capacitors.

I am using the following tools:

Cadence 5.1.41
AMS C35B4C3

Due to caonstraints I am looking to implement capacitor values up to 10pF maximum and resistor values up to approx 350 KOhms.

I am attempting to use Cadence layout to compare area combinations of capacitors and resistors to get a feel for a good trade off. However, I dont know how to calculate the capacitor area because:

1. How do I find the relative constants such as mobility, Oxide capacitance etc for Austria Micro Systems 0.35um technology?

2. I have used virtueso schematic and see that values can be entered for the capacitor W and L, but is there a way to have the tool automatically provide sensible sizing?

3. Many people discuss unit area and 'Lambda' in terms of layout and say that if you layout in an S shape you need to consider 0.5*Lambda layout rules, is Lambda=0.35um for a 0.35um process, everyone talks about Lambda but no one explains what it is.

4. If I have to layout the capacitor using Layout XL, can Cadence verify what the capacitance of the design is?

Apologies if this is a repetitive questin on the forum or if these questions really are basic but I really have not found much help on the MOSIS website and would really appreciatte your input!

Kindest regards,

Ken Potter.

Added after 1 hours 14 minutes:

Dear Group,

Since I cannot find the process information for AMS 0.35um, can anyone confirm if the following assumptions are correct?

Oxide capacitance typically 4.3fF/um^2 for 0.35 BULK, based on 7nm oxide thickness.

Double poly capacitors have an oxide capacitance which is half of this value
Metal sandwich capacitors have 1/20 of this.

Secondly, regarding resistors is 140 Ohms/Square reasonable for unsilicided poly resistor and how do you know if the process allows for silicided or unsilicided poly?

Thanks, Ken.

KPotter999 said:
... 1. How do I find the relative constants such as mobility, Oxide capacitance etc for Austria Micro Systems 0.35um technology?
See the PDF below, p. 2 (bottom).

KPotter999 said:
4. If I have to layout the capacitor using Layout XL, can Cadence verify what the capacitance of the design is?
Sure.

KPotter999 said:
Added after 1 hours 14 minutes:
Since I cannot find the process information for AMS 0.35um, can anyone confirm if the following assumptions are correct?
Oxide capacitance typically 4.3fF/um^2 for 0.35 BULK, based on 7nm oxide thickness.
Cf. **broken link removed**

KPotter999 said:
Secondly, regarding resistors is 140 Ohms/Square reasonable for unsilicided poly resistor and how do you know if the process allows for silicided or unsilicided poly?
See your PDK docu.

Attachments

• gm_id_analysis_and_design_of_opamp_2723.pdf
    537.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

And thank you for the response, the PDF looks excellent! Just one question however, how do I obtain the PDK document because I am a University student and do onot have direct acees to the MOSIS website and have not seen any supporting documentation on the University website.

Many thanks, Ken.

KPotter999 said:
... how do I obtain the PDK document
I got it from some posting in one of the EDAboard forums (don't remember from which one). :-(

KPotter999 said:
... do not have direct access to the MOSIS website and have not seen any supporting documentation on the University website.
See e.g. here.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back