Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Cadence instance custom prefix suffix

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinKP

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am adhering to a convention to use following notation for all schematic (non primitives) instance names "U[%]_[cellName]" -> "U0_MY_OPAMP", so that my netlist and extractors become more readable, instead of something like /I0/I22/I14/I1/MN0.

Instead of writing all instance names manually in all schematics, I would like to automate this, so that the name is generated, when I drop the instance in schematic.
I can hit Shift+Q in symbol editor and here I can edit instNamePrefix, and here I can put "U".
Is there a way to also define the instance suffix "_[cellName]", and what would be the syntax for this, since I cannot use NLP or IL?
Further, is there a way to change this across an entire library and also make it the "new default" for future symbols generated, so that I don't have to edit all symbols either?

Instance name is a fill-field in the instantiation popup. If you enter nothing then you get auto-number. Enter more than one name separated by spaces and those names will be laid down in order. But only against the same master.

I do what you mention, the regular tedious way (or just mop up later).

Instance name is a fill-field in the instantiation popup. If you enter nothing then you get auto-number. Enter more than one name separated by spaces and those names will be laid down in order. But only against the same master.

I do what you mention, the regular tedious way (or just mop up later).
So in short it is not possible to add a suffix to the autogenerated instance name at all ?

I imagine that you could make some sort of SKILL script
which concatenated "stuff about the master" to the auto
generated prefix (which, seems to be PDK-idiosyncratic;
I am seeing "T" for MOSFETs in one kit currently but more
often "M"; "U" vs "I" for instances is another, and so this
must be set "somewhere in the monstrous code pile").

Native, dumb-user-with-GUI, all I've got is what I got.
What's theoretically possible, for someone with CAD
chops, I would not know.

But in the end there's always time whilst watching Spectre
dry paint, to do that kind of finger-poking, so ....

Yes, it is possible to set default lt behavior of schematic editor to name instance as <fixed_prefix>_cellname_index. It is controlled by proper variable in cdsenv.

Yes, it is possible to set default lt behavior of schematic editor to name instance as <fixed_prefix>_cellname_index. It is controlled by proper variable in cdsenv.
Thanks for your help Dominik,

Sharing the solution:
Adding following to cdsinit:
envSetVal("cdba" "dbInstNamePrefix" 'string "U")
envSetVal("cdba" "dbAddCellNameToInstNamePrefix" 'boolean t)

Or from CIW running "startCdsencEditor()" and then changing "dbInstNamePrefix" and "dbAddCellNameToInstNamePrefix"

This way all future instances added to a schematic will have "U_<cellName>_<number>", this works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back