Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence Analog environment spectre simulation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherry20

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cadence analog environment spectre

I finshed the schematics and the test bench, both are saved and have no error. when i go to AE -> simulation -> run, i got the an error in the icfb window:

It checked the netlist files and started simulator, and there's this error
"errors encountered during simulation. the simulator run log has not been generated. Possible
cause could be an invalid command line option for the version of the simulator you are
running. choose setup ->environment and verify that the command line option specified in
the userCmdLineOption field are supported for the simulator.
Alternatively run the simulator standalone using the runSimulation file in the netlist
directory to know the exact cause of the error."

when i go to setup ->environment->userCmdLineOption, it's blank there. I'm not sure if
there should be something there.

If it's not clear where the problem is, could you let me know how to run the
"runsimulation" file alone? I saw that file in a folder, and i could double click it to
run it in terminal, but it doesn't display anything, and i think at least i should run it
through some Cadence command...

Thanks a lot,

Sherry

cadence spectre environment setup

the runSimulation ile contains the command to run spectre. You could use it as a command-line by just cut-and-paste it in the xterm where you started cadence.

spectre version

go to your results folder/design/schematic/spectre/netlist and type .runSimulation

cadence lines analogic

JoannesPaulus said:
the runSimulation ile contains the command to run spectre. You could use it as a command-line by just cut-and-paste it in the xterm where you started cadence.

So do I run it from the directory where I usually start Cadence, or should I run from the folder that contains the runSimulation file? Thanks!

Added after 1 minutes:

oermens said:
go to your results folder/design/schematic/spectre/netlist and type .runSimulation

I'll try your suggestion and report the result tmr. Thanks!

cadence irun spectre

So do I run it from the directory where I usually start Cadence, or should I run from the folder that contains the runSimulation file? Thanks!

if you set the full path for the netlist and output file, you can run from anywhere. If you just want to cut-and-paste, you should run from the netlist directory where the runSimulation file is. ...or you can ./runSimulation as oermens suggested.

how to setup a cadence spectre netlist

I've tried to run the runSimulation file, and it says

Error found by spectre.
Invalid command line argument `-maxw'.

The content of the runSimulation file is:

"spectre -env artist5.1.0 +escchars +log ../psf/spectre.out -format sst2 -raw ../psf +lqtimeout 900 -maxw 5 -maxn 5 input.scs "

Does anyone know what the -maxw command is?

cadence analog simulation

refer here:
**broken link removed**

look under ADE->Simulation->Options->Analog to set maxwarns (maxw) or unselect any options related to maxwarns if thats whats givng you trouble.

what version of spectre are you running? IC (very old) or MMSIM (more recent)? I'm using mmsim71isr3 and i don't get errors with maxw and maxn enabled

icfb undefined model

I've changed the maxwarn and maxnote setting, so the maxw problem is gone, now it gets a new error in runSimulation:

input.scs: M1 is an instance of an undefined model nsvtgp.
input.scs: M0 is an instance of an undefined model psvtgp.

I just take the nsvtgp and psvtgp from the library and put on my schematics, i'm not sure why it's an undefined model, i guess the linkage b/w spectre and the library has some problem...btw, the nsvtgp and my testbench are in different libraries, but that shouldn't be a problem right?

btw, my spectre version# is 5.10.41.121508, i can't see the version name...i guess it's the newer one since it's updated in Dec 2008...

spectre runsimulation

your netlist should include the path to your models.

analog environment

Um...the netlist should automatically include the path, or should I do something? Also, how can I check the netlist file?

cadence *error*unable to display netlist file

ade>setup>model files and add paths to your model files. ade>simulation>netlist>display netlist i think. btw i think thats your icfb version not spectre, i hope. ic5141 spectre is obsolete for years. youre studying in toronto? then you have access to the best help resource: CMC...

cadence problem encountered during simulation

I figured that error was because i didn't have a netlist before i run the simulation :p so now i'm doing simulation->netlist and run...
I still get the same error msg at the icfb window, but when i run the runSimulation file from the terminal, it actually passes with a lot of warnings...

btw, what exactly is CMC? i checked their website...still confused by its relationship with these software vendors...

cadence simulator options

If you're using spectre to simulate, you always have to Check and Save (or at least Check), then Netlist and Run. Whatever errors you're getting might come from things you've inadvertantly set in the simulator settings or the simulation options.

CMC = Canadian Microelectronics Corporation. Pretty much the middle-man between the universities and foundries/EDA providers. You need to sign up though their client area and have a faculty sponsor (i.e. your research supervisor who is already a CMC member). Then you can access the forums and app notes.

how to setup cadence spectre environment

lol...i didn't know anything about that...i just start using Cds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back