Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cable termination for planar antenna, How to??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nano_o

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
how a cable termination is employed with a planar antenna to perform the measurements ??!
is there any specific characteristics of the cable in respect with the frequency band of the antenna? the dimensions of the cable/inner conductor?
I highly appreciate any information about this mounting scheme !
thank you best regards!

To perform measurements? Use 50 Ohm cable if you have 50 Ohm instrument. Use thin cable, but it is not general rule. Use balun in most cases. What is your antenna frequency band(s)? Explain yourself, send picture, show your setup if you want to get useful advice.

Hello!
yes I would like to measure the antenna properties, well at least get the S11 :-(
the antenna is as I said a planar antenna with a microstrip feed line, the frequency band is [5-36GHz].
thank you!

36GHz? That's high. You will need good high frequency rated cable with controlled phase. What kind of instrument you use to measure your Antenna, Network Analyzer? Cables that come with your Network Analyzer should work. What is your antenna, how it is built, where is it mounted? Explain yourself, send picture, show your setup if you want to get useful advice.

Reactions: Nano_o

Nano_o

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If the frequency range is actually up to 36 GHz, the test port connectors of your network analyzer and available calibration sets will prescribe the useable cable connection. In case of doubt some semi-rigid type. You also need to design a coaxial-to-stripline transition.

Reactions: Nano_o

Nano_o

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello!!
Yes, I am using a vector network analyzer (VNA). supposing I will use the cable that comes with the VNA, it will not be useful for any other kind of measurements due to the coaxial-Stripline transition that I have to consider in one end of it.
but I have a doubt a bout the ground plane what about it?? any other cables are needed ??
what should I do, does any provider provide such cables?
Any ideas and suggestions will be very appreciated!
thank you!

Yest you will have coaxial-stripline transition. So what?
I have no way to advice you further because you do not explain your problem. How do I know what you got there?
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back