Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cable strain relief. Please help find a part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
Colleagues,

Power cords have a rubber part where cord attached to the enclosure. This part helps strain relieve the cable. I have found a cord with such part built onto it (overmolded? see picture below). I’m looking for a separate part like that. I will slide it onto my cable at assembly time. What are these parts called? Would they exist as separate parts? Who might be making them? Who might be selling them (in the US)?

Any suggestion, insight or reference is really appreciated!

Cheers,
- Nick

29_1317515534.png

Last edited:

They are called "cable entry grommets" but the one shown would have been factory fitted, they are either shrunk, glued or welded as part of factory assembly.
I doubt you will find a rectangular one but you can proably find round ones, the hole where it leaves your equipment must match of course.
Tip: invest in some cable lubricant, it's a special synthetic oil that evaporates without trace. Putting one drop on the cable before sliding the grommet will make assembly much easier and avoid stretching the insulation.

Brian.

The part you have a picture of is surely molded on to the cable. This can be done relatively easily and painlessly. The only difficult part is making the mold. Otherwise - something along the lines of what wizpic suggested makes the most sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back