Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C Compiler for ARM & C166-Speed Benchmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

memarian

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
arm compiler benchmark

Dear Friends,

Which of these C Compilers have best speed optimization For ARM & C166 uControllers?

1)KEIL 2)IAR 3)Tasking

or anyother compiler?

Is there any official benchmark?

Code Size isn't important.

Thanks.

c166 gcc

Hi,

did not see this post before I answered the other question. So, you are already somewhat familiar with both, C16x and ARM, both of my proposed solutions for the fast arithmetic.
To answer a part of this question about benchmarks between the compilers. If you ask any of the three you mentioned every one will tell you they are the fastest ;-)
Worked with IAR and Keil on ARM and with Tasking and Keil on C16x, so I guess I got some idea.
If you go C166, I consider the Keil compiler the better solution over the Tasking for speed and simplicity.
For ARM I am not completely at liberty to say but one thing for sure, Tasking entered the ARM market recently, you do not want to go with a relatively new compiler if you have the options like IAR or Keil.
Both IAR and Keil also support the VFP (Vectored Floatig Point processor) from ARM that is implemented on the previously recommended LPC3180. Keep in mind that the compile engine for Keil is now the ARM compiler from ARM, no longer the self developed CARM.

Cheers, Bob

memarian

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
iar c166

I've used a somewhat older IAR for the 8515 AVR and ATmega16(3), it has a crap project GUI, but awesome code generation. Highly efficient code, excellent. I'm using Tasking for the c161pi (again for business, not for fun), again a crap GUI compared to Eclipse, but also a much less aggressive optimalisation for speed and size.

You should go for GCC if you want to use the latest in compiler technology and get the best possible portability. I'd prefer developer efficiency over code efficiency...

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back