Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Burning ADC....help plz..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amandeep_pec

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to build a small circuit using Analog Devices AD9240 Analog to Digital Convertor. I am giving supply voltages of (+5=AVdd) to the ADC. However, as soon as I connect the supply to the ADC a smoke starts to come from AVDD pin, and on testing it using a multimeter it starts showing a resistance of 1-2ohms between AVDD and ground. I have tried to test the same on around 7-8 ADCs bt am facing the same problem each and every time. I also tried to just connect the ADC and not interface it with ny of the components in the system, but I face the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Your problem may be caused by several factors:
1) Your supply is not 5V,
2) Your supply is incorrectly connected to the IC,
3) Your ICs are DOA,
4) Your PCB has routing problems.

Check all, assume nothing.

Hi,

Sounds like you have a dead short on the pcb or between the pins of what I assume can only be a smd device.

You need a powerful magnifier to see some of those solder whiskers that can short out things.

The other things I would check, does the chip measure a short before you solder it ?

Also what pins are you actually connecting +5v and 0v to, there is a total of 6 pins for supply to D and A.

Its also very easy to both mount your smd part the wrong way and also get your pcb image wrong /inverted.

Perhaps you could post your schematic.

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments.

I have checked all the connections and voltages etc and they are good.

@Yego : What do you mean by DOA ? All other connections look good.

@wp100 : I am a bit confused about your comments on the supply connections. The ADC I am using has in total 8 ground and supply pins, namely : DVDD-DVSS (Digital supply pair ), DRVDD-DRVSS(Driving Supply Voltage), and 2 pairs of AVDD-AVSS(Analog supply). I am connecting +5, 0V tp DVDD-DVSS pair / +5-0V to DRVDD-DRVSS pair and +5/0 to both the analog supply pins..i.e. 2 AVDD @ 5V and 2 AVSS @0V. Do i need to connect only one AVDD-AVSS pair ???

Also, although I am using a smd device...i could nt find any dead shorts on the PCB or the Chip. The ADC also burns when running it on a breadboard. I burnt 3 ADCs before finally one worked on the breadboard and now when I am soldering it to the final PCB I have already burnt 7 ADCs..!!!

Hi,

Sounds like you have got real probelms !

DOA means that the chips are faulty when you bought them - Dead On Arrival

Sorry about missing two off the supply connections, my point was that there are so many supply voltage connections to make that there is a greater chance of making a mistake - similarly getting the chip positioned correctly and even getting the smd pcb done correclty can be a real problem.

If you cannnot measure a short between any of the pairs of supply pins Before you connect anything up, then I would suggest you just connect only the Digital power and see what happens so you can isolate where the short is occuring.

Having soldered a few smd I do wonder how you have connected a smd chip to a breadboard , there is little space for soldering wires to the pins.

If possible, some photos of your boards might help us understand what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back