Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building Zigbee transceiver module from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGeek

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

As a demonstration of concept, I would like to build a simple Zigbee communication circuits. I was initially inspired by the article in circuitcellar.com that explains building Zigbee stuff using CC2420.

Do you think it is manageable by spending a few days working? Things like security or high data rate is not primary concern. I just would like to build a simple design that can communicate a pretty good range.

I am not an RF expert.

But I have introductory skills in analog and digital circuits, and some experience with PIC uCs.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Zigbee transceivers are single chips now. Go visit the Microchip web page and they have a bunch of app notes on zigbee and PIC's to get a head start. I wouldn't attempt a discrete solution for Zigbee, it doesn't make any sense to do that now.

Dave

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I realize that cc2420 is discrete and the new cc2430 is the Zigbee with 8051 core. Although I have experience with 8051, it is not my current interest to use that instead of PIC.

So my question then is, does Microchip also offer System-On-Chip for Zigbee?

Unfortunately, microchip.com is down (at the time of my writing), and I am rather in hurry. I would like to know if Microchip indeed offers System-On-Chip for Zigbee.

Thanks alot.

What do you mean by system on a chip? The Zigbee transceiver they offer is a Serial data in/RF out system. All you need to do is drop it on a board and hook up an antenna. The zigbee stack is available from Microchip, so you integrate that with whatever application you want, and you are all set. Maybe not a couple of day's of work, but not too hard.

Dave

Thanks.

I checked out their products briefly, and it seems that they do not offer any Zigbee integrated with MCUs, but a stand-alone Zigbee. (On the other hand, they have rfPICs. )

I am reading datasheets on rfPICs. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back