Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Build AVR Programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichilton

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
diy avr programmer

Hi,

I normally use PIC chips and dont really know anything about Atmel chips but I want to try a project with one.

Please could someone point me in the direction of the schematic for a reasonably easy to build programmer for Atmel chips (like the ATMega8515).

I'd prefer USB but serial is ok.

(I assume I can't use my PICKit 2's?!?)

Thanks

Ian

build avr programmer

I assume that you are looking for an in-circuit programmer? The easiest programmers to build for AVR uses the PC's printer port.

If you build a programmer that uses the AVR's JTAG port for programming it also supports a simple In Circuit Emulator that works on the Mega series of AVR amongst others. This allows you to use an In Circuit Emulator without any additional hardware and just using Free software from Atmel. (AVR Studio).
A quick google search revealed these sites
http://www.scienceprog.com/build-your-own-avr-jtagice-clone/
**broken link removed**
http://www.avrportal.com/?page=jtag

build an avr programmer

Hi,

Thanks for that - I had a quick look at them but they seem to need another programmer already to program the AVR in it?

(which is the problem - I dont currently have one!)

Thanks

Ian

diy avr isp programmer

ichilton said:
Hi,

Thanks for that - I had a quick look at them but they seem to need another programmer already to program the AVR in it?

(which is the problem - I dont currently have one!)

Thanks

Ian

The best programmer to build is one that has a micro controller to accept the commands from the computer and to do the programming. This way you have no troubles with parallel ports and drivers for windows XP. In windows 98 or DOS there are no problems.

I have had good luck with the avreal programmer in DOS ONLY. It is the easiest one to build with no resistors or other components except a parallel port plug and an ISp plug or IC socket. Remember you need to supply a separate clock signal and power supply for the device you are programming.

You can build this cable to program the avr in one of the programmers listed in the above links. I also included the software to program in dos only. This is the easiest
one to build (in my opinion.) REMEMBER TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS in the zip file!
Good Luck

avrminiprog

Go to this link:

Look at the circuit with this heading: AVR ISP (STK200/300) parallel port interface

This programmer will allow programming from the Atmel Studio software. You can then use this to build a serial port Jtag Programmer that can also be used for ICE

build avr usb programmer

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

Ian

avr programmer

Hi,

I too recently faced the same dilemma as you mentioned. I wanted to try out AVR quickly.

For the programming SW, I am using PonyProg (www.lancos.com) but did not make the complicated circuit as mentioned in the lancos website.

I got a much simpler circuit from a guy from Bangladesh called Sajid : **broken link removed**

Also, I made a small development board to quickly prototype. The schematic for the development board can be found at:
**broken link removed**

You can also combine the above two on a single circuit board if you want.

More details(including photographs) about my AVR board can be found at:
https://seemanta.wordpress.com/

regards,
Seemanta

atmega8515 programmer

is it really usefuul to build one as there are ready made usb one for sooo cheap here :

**broken link removed**

avr programmer diy

I recommend building one for two reasons:

1. Shipping from Europe to India (that is where I am from) is exorbitantly high and in many cases may be higher than the actual cost of the board. I am not too sure how it fares with the rest of the world.

2. Building your own programmer is fun ;-) and does not take much time, really!

regards,
Seemanta

avreal programmer

I already bought a small board like this from them (they are in thailand, not in india) and shipping costed me ... 3.5 euros !!!! so plus the $15 of the board it is still very reasonable price.
ok building is fun, but is you are in a hurry, better buy a cheap working thing. building yourself can take some time...

also remember this micro4you board is a usb one... the usb chips are really small to soldier yourself if you are not equipped enought...
you can make your own board but if you want to be fast you will make a serial or parallel board, which is really not as performing as the usb board.

regards,

Her is one free shipping!

MOD: SPAM MARKETING/ADVERTISING HIS PRODUCT. BANNED

Hi,
For the information, it IS possible to use PICKit2 to program AVRs if you use AVRStudio. Have a look at PICKIT2AVRISP.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.