Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck/Boost or Cuk converter IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

assu

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings,
I need to design buck/boost or CUK converter to charge a battery.
Input= 16V 7Amp
Output= 11~14V 5 Amp
I need to know if their are any IC's AVAILABLE which can control the output via pwm.
I searched some of them but found it to be difficult

Last edited:

As it is, your 16V charger will push 1-2 A into a 12V battery.

I think you want to boost it above 20 V. Ampere capability will go up, although it will not be as high as 7A.

As you know, battery voltage will rise during charging. The optimum charge schedule is to taper down current to a small fraction of an A, by the time the battery reaches 14.4 V (more or less).

A boost converter will do the job. I don't know if you'll find one in an IC which has the dual purpose of battery charging.

It's also a question whether there is a battery charger IC, or a boost converter IC, which can withstand 7A going through it.

As it is, your 16V charger will push 1-2 A into a 12V battery.

It's also a question whether there is a battery charger IC, or a boost converter IC, which can withstand 7A going through it.

the battery is 12 v 45Ah and i m going to charge at 5 amp which is 10% charging current,also i think buck converter will work when input is 16V so charge voltage maybe 14V and current should be 4~5 amp which is most suitable. if input varies below 12V then boost wil come in place which will charge battery at slow current rate

These ICs already provide a loop back control for output voltage.
What exactly do you want to control ?

i am thinking that u are trying to control the system through micro controller , is that so? This ic internally controls the PWM which depends on the Feed back of the sytem which depends on the output of the system.

25118.PNG

Last edited:

yes,control it via microcontoller... can it not be controlled via external pwm ? because what FB is fed is the voltage by RESISTOR network.

You had not answered the question of the post #6.
Do you want perform an enable function such as a On/Off command ?

The idea is to monitor the output voltage and control the output with an externally fed pwm.
You had not answered the question of the post #6.
Do you want perform an enable function such as a On/Off command ?

Status
Not open for further replies.