Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck and Boost Problem -Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliso

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to make an energy control system on a stationary bike. The main input comes from the generator and the secondary input comes from the 6V battery. The voltage from the generator ranges from 1-10V, so I need to make a buck converter to 5V as load power supply. before pedaling, the power supply comes from the battery, and after pedaling, the power supply comes from the buck converter. There is a time when the output of the buck converter is used as input to the boost converter to 6.8V to charge the battery.

With the circuit in the figure, is the system working?

Please help, thank you.

Schematic_Full Mantap_2022-08-19.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

I don't know what to look for.

A possible issue:
HO_BOOST is interchanged with LO_BOOST.

Klaus

Hi,

I don't know what to look for.

A possible issue:
HO_BOOST is interchanged with LO_BOOST.

Klaus
Thanks for answering me.
I guess the high-side is the name for the main MOSFET and the low-side is the diode replacement MOSFET.

Other issues:
is it true that the VS_boost is connected to ground?

Hi,
I guess the high-side is the name for the main MOSFET and the low-side is the diode replacement MOSFET
HO of the IR2110 is the gate for the High side Mosfet = positive side
LO of the IR2110 is the gate for the Low side Mosfet = positive side

VS_Boost (same as above) is for the high side, thus it must not be coonected to GND, but the half bridge output.
I don´t recommend 1k for the GS_resistors, they just drain out your bootstrap capacitor. Better use 10k.

When designing electronics you need to read the datasheets. The IC maunfacturer additionally provides design notes and application notes.

Whether your design works or not also highly depends on PCB layout. Don't try at all to do this on a breadboard.

Especially for the IR2110 there are - I guess - more than 1000 threads here. In case of problems: read through them.
Biggest problems: PCB layout, wrong signal levels, PCB layout, bootstrap problems, dead time problems .... did I already mention PCB layout? ;-)

Klaus

A flyback converter with primary and secondary windings can either buck or boost, and would probably be the least complicated way to do something like this.

A flyback converter with primary and secondary windings can either buck or boost, and would probably be the least complicated way to do something like this.
Hi,

flyback converter can output 2 different voltage values?
I will study first.

Thanks for the alternative design.

A flyback converter transfers a certain "packet" of stored magnetic energy into a secodary winding each switching cycle.
The final output voltage is not defined.
If the output is very lightly loaded the output voltage can be quite high.
If more heavily loaded you can get more current out of it at a much lower voltage.
When charging a battery, the output voltage will be pretty much fixed at the battery voltage.

That enables the battery to be charged when the input voltage is either lower, the same, or higher than the battery voltage. Its just a case of designing the whole thing to work over the required dc input voltage range.

How much power is transferred each switching cycle can be adjusted with a control system that determines the length of time the primary is connected to the power source. But the actual hardware stays the same.

It should be able to do what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.