Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Brushless DC Motor Driving Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertomaldito

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Attchde in this file is an image showing an H-bridge circuit with a brushless DC motor load. It can be see nthat the Hbridge is driven by a non-overlapping control signals. Shown on the lower part pf the circuit is the waveforms for the current and the motor drive voltage (O1-O2) I just want to ask why there is a huge overshoot in O1-O2 signal right after all the NMOS's and PMOS's closed?

I also want to ask how can I possibly verify the actual EMF of the motor load?

Thank you

andrew

Attachments

• AskEdaboardMotor.JPG
    AskEdaboardMotor.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 138

1. Every FET has a body diode associated with it. When all the switches are switched off, the current is maintained in the inductor. This current actually "recirculates" (go read up on this term) through the body diodes from gnd to vdd. For this to happen, one end of the terminal must be one diode drop below gnd, and the other one diode above vdd, giving you a large spike (~vdd + 1.4V) across the motor.
2. Vmotor = Vbemf + Imotor * Rmotor + Lmotor * dImotor/dt
Various schemes for bemf measurement include waiting for Imotor to drop to zero, or maintaining constant current, and measuring the current whilst Rmotor must be known as such. Others play around with the math by introducing a series sense resistor whilst forcing a constant current, and cancelling the 2nd/3rd term.

Checkmate, thank you for your reply. So how can I measure the actual Rmotor and Lmotor?

Status
Not open for further replies.