Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

broadband patch antenna at 5.7 GHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biff44

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
trying to make a broadband patch antenna 5.6 to 5.9 Ghz, probably on 62 mil thick FR4 board. I am close, but just can not get the final dimensions to give good VSWR across the whole band. Only getting maybe 6 dB return loss over the band on an E-shaped patch. It is really touchy, and each analysis pass takes a while...I may never converge on the final correct dimensions. (yes, I know it would be easier on a thicker substrate, or lower dielectric constant--like air, but I need it to be "cheap" and very manufacturable for a commercial job)

Anybody have dimensons on such a beast?

Any usual patch antenna exhibits resonant behaviour, so it cannot be used (and is not matched) over a wider band. I would try to use a bow-tie shaped antenna on a dielectric support. Or, for very wide bandwidth, there are some UWB antenna designs.
I do not work in that area but Microwave Journal and Microwaves & RF magazines brought interesting antenna designs over last 3-5 years.

Maybe you need more elements. I saw one my colleague designed such antenna with 1024 elements, and got about 20dB return loss.

the E shaped patch has 2 resonant frequencies, so you can make a double tuned vswr response.

Just another idea. U-shape slot antenna can get wide bandwidth.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back