Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bridgeless PFC, your personal experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitt trigger

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I can read on the web lots of discussion related to bridgeless PFC converters.
Some claim extraordinary results, some others claim that the added complexity is not worthwhile.

Being a seasoned engineer, I know that the answer to the relative merits of any circuit topology is: "it depends".
It depends on the application, it depends on the required performance level, it depends on the cost, it depends on size and weight.......many, many considerations, some of them which are at conflict between each other.

But my question to the best & brightest here is; have you personally been involved on the design/troubleshooting/application of a BPFC converter? What are your experiences?

From my experience analyzing designs, but not my own, BPFC offers 1% improvement at low AC voltage and higher current from drop in Vpn with rising temp and thus higher efficiency vs extra bridge and sync. switched RdsOn can add losses which increase with temp.

But for higher V and P ranges >1 kW, I would prefer GaN or IGBT switches.

I think this approach has good merit with a simpler and more efficient design. Protection on cycle basis and average current modulation with isolated opto voltage sense.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/blbapec2005.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153574033603ed3

Last edited:
OT but related:
International Rectifier was one of the better, if not the best, power semiconductor companies.

I sincerely hope -but I'm not holding my breath on it- that Infineon respects that unique culture.

Most large company that acquire a dynamic, smaller competitor, instead of incorporating the traits that made it so successful, will instead digest it and turn it into s#$*.
This behavior is not unique to Infineon or the electronic industries.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule.

Having built bridgeless PFC for laptop adapters, 12V18A 85-265Vac in 100kHz, I can say that once you solve the CM issues, the gains in eff and lower heat load are very worth it...

- - - Updated - - -

also you have to master the current sensing and the rect mains volt sensing - to run a conventional PFC chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.