Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bridge Rectifier Problem when connected to Wall Power Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

richeek

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
I know this is a long post but I tried to put everthing...

I am making a bridge rectifier to give DC voltage to another circuit. At the output of the rectifier I am connecting 0.47uF-250V, mylar capacitor and across the capacitor I am connecting resistive load.
The bridge should rectify 120 VAC from a WALL OUTLET to obtain a DC voltage. I am trying to acheive as close as possible to 170 VDC.
Now the problem is that I want to get this voltage with respect to circuit ground. What happens is if I try to connect other end of the capacitor to ground some diodes blow off. Even if I try to connect oscilloscope between two terminal of capacitor some diode blows off.
I searched it over the net and found out similar post: **broken link removed**
I think I am also facing the similar problem. Could anyone please tell me why this is happening? Why the other end of the capacitor is not always at potential 0V? What should I do now to get a 170V DC power supply?
I mesure the voltages at both ends of the capcaitor by just connecting positive terminal of a 10X probe to the circuit and floating the probe's ground. And I saw that capactor terminal that I think should be at 0V is actually oscillating between 0V and -170V.
At the same time other end of the capacitor is oscillating between 170V and 0V. Hence together they will give me 170VDC. But how to connect them to another circuit?
Kindly provide some inputs I am so confused.
Thank you.
Sincerely
Richeek Arya

Re: Bridge Rectifier Problem when connected to Wall Power Ou

Looks like you are not using an isolation transformer?

Re: Bridge Rectifier Problem when connected to Wall Power Ou

Yeah, I figured out that problem now. I was directly connecting the power outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.