Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bootloader Programmer circuit help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirag2239

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to develop circuit that is based on Arduino. Now, I am going to develope the circuit that I want to sell so I do not need Arduino board to attach. So programming is the problem.

I have checked in Schematic of Arduino Mega 2560 that the designer have made USB to UART conversion using ATmega16U2. Then bootloader program is loaded in Arduino.

Now I am confused that the bootloader program of Arduino is same for all the controller? If yes, then can I upload it on simple ATmega2560? By uploading this program, can I make my board as Arduino compatible?

Can I use FT232 chip instead of ATmega16U2? Can I program my board using FT232 instead of using ATmega16U2 as an Arduino? I mean to say can my board work as an Arduino Compatible board if I use FT232 instead of ATmega16U2 and the boot loader program will work if I use FT232?

Thanks.
Chirag

Now I am confused that the bootloader program of Arduino is same for all the controller? If yes, then can I upload it on simple ATmega2560? By uploading this program, can I make my board as Arduino compatible?
Bootloaders are all same for all Arduinos. You can make your own Arduino just by burning the bootloader of respective baord to the respective chip.

Can I use FT232 chip instead of ATmega16U2? Can I program my board using FT232 instead of using ATmega16U2 as an Arduino? I mean to say can my board work as an Arduino Compatible board if I use FT232 instead of ATmega16U2 and the boot loader program will work if I use FT232?
Yes. The Atmega 16 is used as logic convereter which converts USB to RS232 levels. Same can be done with FT232 or any such converter chips. You can program any chip with a bootloader with any converter. I am personally using CP2102 for the same

Thanks Pranam77,

my next question is that if I am using FT232, then do I need to change program of boot loader in respective of FT232 too? Or there will not be any change in bootloader program? I just have to change the schematic but program of boot loader will also be changed? May I use same boot loader program even if I will use FT232 instead of ATmega16U2?

I am asking because I do not know anything in programming with Arduino. I am a hardware engineer but not a too good programmer. I have worked on AVR at beginner level. So boot loader and Arduino is new for me.

So kindly help me to my problems.

Hi Pranam,

I am confused that if I am using FT232, then do I have to change the code of bootloader for arduino as you have told that we can use any chip with respective program.
My confusion is that if I am loading the boot loader program to Arduino which is available on Arduino site or forum, can it be work with FT232? Do I have to make any changes in program with respect to FT232?

Hi Pranam,

I am confused that if I am using FT232, then do I have to change the code of bootloader for arduino as you have told that we can use any chip with respective program.
My confusion is that if I am loading the boot loader program to Arduino which is available on Arduino site or forum, can it be work with FT232? Do I have to make any changes in program with respect to FT232?

FT232 is just Serial to USB convertor IC so its nothing to do with the boot loader code.Yes your code work with just replacing FT232 .

Thanks ud23,

You helped me a lot as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.