Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Booting from External Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Can anyone tell if it is possible to boot from an external USB hard disk and if it is possible how i should go about it.

Thanks

This is only possible if your computer's BIOS supports it.

Look in the BIOS settings.

hi..
i haven't used the option of booting from USB drive but BIOS gives u option..so, it must be possible...
u can make a bootable Floppy disk using windows..copy and paste all of the contents in a USB drive..i m not sure but it might be enough to boot from this drive..also set first ur booting priority on external device.

Regards

D.O.S. and the BIOS is the answer they both search for a bootable system and if cannot be found goes to basic. to boot from USB that disk must be a bootable system otherwise it will not boot from there.

Check your bios..whether it support USB Boot or not

as they said , it depends whether your bios support that or not,,if it doesnt support you can update your bios online ,,but take care it is a very dangerous operation and must take care also that the PC will not shut down suddenly ,,

Yes it is possible only when you have a bootable floppy disk with the boot cdrom.

For that you have to enter to BIOS and change the boot from option to external HDD ,and save and restart .

For that you have to enter to BIOS and change the boot from option to external HDD ,and save and restart .

i have try and it's not success

you would have to have a program on the external that you can use once it is booted... what are trying to do this for?

001 said:
Hello,

Can anyone tell if it is possible to boot from an external USB hard disk and if it is possible how i should go about it.

Thanks

Change the BIOS setting , such that ur USB is the first bootable device..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back