Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boosting Light via magnifying glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger11711

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to know if anyone can tell me whether or not it would be possible to enhance the brightness of an led globe by shining it through a magnifying glass for instance.
Or is there ANY way of increasing the light's brightness.
The second part of my question is - does a solar panel produce more electricity based on the brightness of light shining on it or not?

Stupid questions I know - and it has probably been answered somewhere already... but I am starting a small project and would just like to get a general idea of what the limitations would be.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Regards

Optics (e.g. a magnifying glass, also called collecting lens) can focus a light beam. This way it increases the brightness in one region at the expense of reducing it in another region. In terms of photometry, it increases the luminance (in one direction) but not the total luminous flux.

Does a solar panel work properly in sunlight?
How much power does a solar panel produce when the sky is covered with dark clouds?
How much power does a solar panel produce in moonlight?
In darkness?

Do you think a solar panel will work better if it is continuously tilted so that it always directly faces the sun?
Do you think the power from a solar panel is less in the morning and in the evening but is maximum at about noon?

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The second part of my question is - does a solar panel produce more electricity based on the brightness of light shining on it or not?
Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Yes, more light in, more power out.

How well it works under cloudy conditions depends on the type of solar panel you choose.
Monocrystaline panels have significantly more output in bright direct sunlight.
But the slightest cloud, or even a small shadow on one part of the panel effects them greatly.

Polycrystaline panels produce less peak power in direct sunlight, but they work much better under low light or cloudy conditions.

Which is best is entirely up to you.
Both types are sold and they both cost about the same.

Have you ever touched a solar panel when it is in sunlight at noon? Got burnt by touching it?
Then I suspect that some of the electricity produced by a solar panel is caused by its heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.