Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost converter help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

moesciphish

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lm3578 leds

Ok, so if anyone had read my post about needing a buck or DC-DC converter to power some 20-40ma 3.6v LED's:

then they know my dilema... however, I figured I may be going about it all wrong and actually want to use a boost converter. The ones I've seen are the Badboy and the Wizard2. Would they be capable of a Vin of 1.2v or 2.4v and a steady Vout of say around 3.6-3.8v? Did I miss something with these? There is not much info on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Or making something myself would be nice.. I guess I need a step-up/boost converter circuit..?

Thanks again!

If you go for constant current boost converter, such as Badboy, you will need to connect ≈10 parallel circuits cosisting of 3 diodes connected in series.
The total current will be 10 *30mA = 300mA (Badboy specification) and the voltage accross the dides will adjust itself (current control), and no additional resistors are required ..
If you want to experiment a little bit you can try this step-up dc-dc converter (only descrete component: transistors, resistors, diodes and caps):
https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/6-12conv.htm
The supply voltage can go as low as ≈2.5Vdc, ZD3 sets the output voltage ..
Regards,
IanP

Ok.. that makes sense.. I thought they had a 1000ma badboy though now. I'm just curious as to battery effeciency with such a device and if it would be feasible to use say 2 1.2v NiMH to run them... Again, if there is a way to do this and build it myself, I will. I like the idea you had off the photoresistor on/off switch with the lm3578. I looked at step-up boost converters briefly and found the microsemi lx1994.. though it looks a bit complicated, it sounds like what I need maybe.. https://www.microsemi.com/catalog/part.asp?ID=70562

Or maybe the LX1993? Since it says up to 25ma current, I would have to have the LEDS in a series correct? and then basically since it has a max load voltage of 25V i could do safely about 5 3.6v's in a series... then if I had say 30 total led's I would have to get about 6 of these circuits or could I run 6 parallel LED strings off this one circuit? I'm sorry.. its been a long day and I might not be thinking straight. Or could I run 6 of these circuits off one 2.4v or 3.7 volt power supply in parallel?

I really appreciate all the help you have given. Hopefully it may help someone else too. I know I have alot of questions, but I am eager to learn and find this stuff very interesting.

Thanks!

Check out my previous post; I added a circuit that you can try to build by yourself ..
The LX1993 looks pretty efficient, and if you set current to 25mA per string you will have 6 strings ( of 5 leds) + 6 ICs .. and you can run the,as you said, from the same battery (or batteries).

Regards,
IanP

What about something like this **broken link removed**
that uses pulsed current for battery life? EDIT: Oh Wait, I do see where this is just used to control an external NPN transistor...it lost me after that

Or something else with a PWM.. or maybe like 4 or 3 ZXSC410/420's would be best.. with say 2.4v NiMH's, but they are still used to drive an external transistor, so how exactly is it a boost converter???

Thanks

I think I may have found what I need... the MadMax sandwich uses this IC:
**broken link removed**

I think everything would work nicely with say 2.4v (2 nimh), the only think I'm worried about is the 600ma load I'd be pulling, and the start-up voltage needed also at that load... other than that I think that's basically what I would need?

Also the LM2621 seems like it may work well...

Ok.. I got both the MAX1674 and LM2623, boy are they tiny.. I'm not even sure I'd be able to put them in a circuitboard...do I need a socket and where would I find one for such a little surface mount, any advice on this? Also.. I may need some help with the LM2623 and the capacitators and all I would need. I know I'd like probably almost a 100% duty... This will probably prove to be quite a challenge for an electronics noob like myself.. but I'd like to try it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back