Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost converter hardware design

shweta1811

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I'm designing a boost converter (dc-dc converter)
I have a problem with MOSFET
How to give pulse to MOSFET? I don't want to give pwm pulse to MOSFET (just pulse to the MOSFET)
My circuit is build up from
•Vin=12 volts
•Vout = 30 volts
•Duty cycle=0.6
•switching frequency=25khZ
•Inductor calc is as 68micro henry but for safety use and margins we're using 150 micro Henry 2.7 ampere inductor
•capacitor calc was 48 micro farad but again for safety margin we're using 68 micro farad capacitor
•Diode used is 1N5819 schottky diode
•load is of 50 ohms
• load current is 0.6 ampere
• MOSFET is IRFZ44N
so my genuine questions are
1. How to generate pulse for mosfet using Arduino?
2. And do we need snubber circuit?
--- Updated ---

Hi I'm designing a boost converter (dc-dc converter)
I have a problem with MOSFET
How to give pulse to MOSFET? I don't want to give pwm pulse to MOSFET (just pulse to the MOSFET)
My circuit is build up from
•Vin=12 volts
•Vout = 30 volts
•Duty cycle=0.6
•switching frequency=25khZ
•Inductor calc is as 68micro henry but for safety use and margins we're using 150 micro Henry 2.7 ampere inductor
•capacitor calc was 48 micro farad but again for safety margin we're using 68 micro farad capacitor
•Diode used is 1N5819 schottky diode
•load is of 50 ohms
• load current is 0.6 ampere
• MOSFET is IRFZ44N
so my genuine questions are
2. And do we need snubber circuit?
Small correction inductor calc is 96 micro henry and we're using 150 micro henry inductor

You picked a FET which is >10X oversized for the current
even if you derated. Which then demands much more gate
drive. You should step back and right-size the power train.

Then you would have more and better driver options.

An itty bitty EPC (or other) GaN FET, you could drive a
lot easier - like a AC or HC CMOS buffer with all the
channels paralleled, or a cheap GaN low side driver.
You would need to know the controller's available I/O
options to check compatibility.

Snubbing is not required in normal operation since the inductor doesn't generate a high voltage spike. It still has a path to conduct current at the moment when the switch (mosfet) shuts off.

However you must always keep a load attached to the boost converter. Without a load present, packets of energy continue to charge the capacitor to to an alarming volt level. In a second the capacitor can explode.

To generate a pulse train is not difficult. 25kHz. 61 percent duty cycle. Does your Arduino produce 5V maximum? It may or may not be sufficient to turn on a mosfet whose power supply is 12V.

Another factor is to regulate duty cycle to obtain 30V. Frequent practice is to reduce the output voltage (via resistor divider) to bring it to a level which your control circuit can measure.

Hi,

the same is done million times before.
There are detailed tutorials, example designs, schematics, PCBs, videos - everything in multiples of thousands.
All problems are known .. and there are solutions for them.

Arduino, the IDE?
or do you mean Arduino hardware? Then tell us which one excatly.

How the code needs to be written and available frequency and reolution depends on hardware.
But as said: For every popular hardware there are code examples.

Klaus

You can use the IRFZ low Ron FET and ideal low loss LC parts, only if you dampen the response with a lossy resistor input. You must estimate the Q of RLC.
and PWM changes loop R when off. The Q affects overshoot to any step response.

Here PWM is static with d.f. = 61%
But you must use negative feedback to regulate load changes. A soft start is advisable. SIM = http://tinyurl.com/yuddn2dj

But there are tons of better books, free SMPS design tools and App notes if you know how to search.(?)

1706806140424.png

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back