Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost Converter Efficiency in a Practical Design calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mengghee

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

i am just wondering how i can calculate efficiency of a boost converter in a practical design. how can i measure the Iin ? Iout ? thank you

regards,
mengghee

Re: Boost Converter Efficiency in a Practical Design calcula

Iin and Iout are both average values since the efficiency calculation refers to the steady-state values of variables.

You should use current probes to measure Iin and Iout. Normally these clamp around the wire that you want to measure the current in. Depending on your current probe, you might or might not need an external amplifier. If your load is just a resistance, just measure the voltage across it and determine the current by Vout/Rload.

You can also try to put a small resistor (with an appropriate power rating) in series with the branch you are trying to measure the current in. Obviously, if you just have a load resistor at the output just use the method above. You can put a small resistor at the input current.

Now, if you are using a good power supply for the input voltage and an electronic load for you load resistance, you may be able to read off the currents on these instruments directly. This all depends on what equipment you have.

Best regards,
v_c

mengghee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

i can only see the analog display of the power supply ... i don't think i can see it properly though ... thanks v_c

regards,
mengghee

You know you can just use an ammeter -- but you have to make sure that it can take the current. Be careful, you don't want to destroy a multimeter! Ask the local technician to see if he has anything that can do the job.

mengghee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.