Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

books and websites for learning microcontroller from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

vividvilla

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,I want to learn about microcontrollers so if you could suggest good books and websites for learning microcontroller it will be useful for me and I am a newbie so please consider that also.

hai which microcontroller want you start ?
it is better 8051
**broken link removed**
also in this forum there are good tutorials search the forum

Hi,

There are so many micros and so many different languages to program them in.

Are you after a particular one to keep in line with your college or work ?

If not, then for hobby use the Pic or Avr micros are the way to go as they are so well suported with lots of free software and online help.
No need to buy books.

As for learning a programming language do you have any idea ? - say Assembler , C or Basic ?

There are also other easier ways to start programming like Flowcode and Arduino C++.

Give us some idea of what you want to use and we can hopefully point you in the right direction.

As Wp100 says there are many micros available, it might be wise to find what are readily available where live and start with those. That way you can always get spares if you damage the ones you are working with.

Suggest reading for 8051 microcontroller..

1. The 8051 microcontroller by Kenneth J. Ayala
2. Programming and customizing the 8051 microcontroller by Myke Predko
3. The 8051 microcontroller and Embedded Systems by Muhammad Ali Mazidi

Book by Mazdi have a lot of assembly language and C example. I prefer Ayala.

your earlier post o f "Do it yourself " to others reveal that you are not a newbee here....... be frank when you ask for help here...... dont try to make a fool of us and yourself.........

its better you start with PIC controllers as 8051 is not a much talked controller... start with basic PIC series of 16f877a and learn it.....

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

try to learn the basics well first like peripherals and then do simple interface and then go for some small projects and dont jump directly to your other thread request "suggestion about making robot".......

your earlier post o f "Do it yourself " to others reveal that you are not a newbee here....... be frank when you ask for help here...... dont try to make a fool of us and yourself.........

its better you start with PIC controllers as 8051 is not a much talked controller... start with basic PIC series of 16f877a and learn it.....

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

try to learn the basics well first like peripherals and then do simple interface and then go for some small projects and dont jump directly to your other thread request "suggestion about making robot".......

Sorry i am not mean that i am new to this forum i am actually new to robotics thats what i meant nothing else.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Hi,

There are so many micros and so many different languages to program them in.

Are you after a particular one to keep in line with your college or work ?

If not, then for hobby use the Pic or Avr micros are the way to go as they are so well suported with lots of free software and online help.
No need to buy books.

As for learning a programming language do you have any idea ? - say Assembler , C or Basic ?

There are also other easier ways to start programming like Flowcode and Arduino C++.

Give us some idea of what you want to use and we can hopefully point you in the right direction.

Thanks for your response,I was actually thought of learning PIC series microcontrollers and I have some basic knowledge of C and C++.
and I want to learn for Hobby purpose only though i will be learning microcontrollers next year in my college.

today's Languages not hard to lean
therefoer try to lean inside of microcontroller
and block diagram of micro controller and behavior of each blocks
and how we control each blocks
what kind of registers we can control, how they control( see data sheet)
then understand logic of operation of registers
better start with pic like 16f877
I think you will be helpful this

VividVilla,

PICs are a good place to start learning MCUs. I use Microchip, Atmel and Silicon Labs in the majority of my commercial projects. I have to say the technical support and service from Microchip is unsurpassed. Besides PICs are very inexpensive, easy to obtain and inexpensive developement boards/tools are readily available.

An excellent book covering the midrange PIC 16F Series from assembler to C is:

Designing Embedded Systems with PIC Microcontrollers, Second Edition: Principles and Applications

It's right up your alley, it uses the construction of the author Tim Wilmshurst's robot, the Derbot:

You can download Microchip's MPLAB IDE/MPASM Assembler for free:

**broken link removed**

And be sure and download Hi-Tech's free C compiler for the PIC10/12/16 MCU Family:

**broken link removed**

MPLAB also has a built-in simulator, no hardware required. If you can get a hold of the educational version of ISIS Proteus, it interface very nicely with MPLAB allowing you to build entire PIC based circuits and run code in simulation all within MPLAB:

**broken link removed**

Hope these recommendations and links help with your endeavors.

Here are some very good lessons, PDFs and source code, with MPASM and Hi-Tech C Compiler for both baseline and midrange PICs:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.