Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

block ram implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix83

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i had written a code in vhdl for matrix multiplication for which i predefined data to be multiplied...now i need to replace that predefined data with block ram...can anyone help me out how to do this?

first you have to define block ram
introduce some delays
put your data one by one in block ram

you have to design a complete state machine.

by the way can you share yor code here,
so that we may suggest you better answere.

hi
thanks for the reply...well sorry i didn't mentioned something in my post which is i need to retrieve the data from block ram and then perform mac operation and then send the result back to block ram..

thanks jim,
but again i ma saying that i need to retrive data from block ram....for my computation...for taht purpose help me out

Study how block RAM works and change your code to consider the necessary sequential access method. Only one RAM word can be accessed at a time (or optionally two when using dual port RAM).

thanks jim,
but again i ma saying that i need to retrive data from block ram....for my computation...for taht purpose help me out

I suggest reading the datasheet for the BRAM you intend to use. Reading datasheets is awesome! It solves all sorts of problems that you would have when you don't read them.

So after reading it you know the limitations + timings of your BRAM du jour. And then you can write a small FSM to do your "read, computate, write" stuff. Sounds like fun! Man, I should read documentation more often.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back