Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BJT Selection for Gilbert Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hetfield

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to design a double-balanced gilbert mixer circuit where the LO 5 Ghz and the RF 4.9 Ghz and the IF 0.1 Ghz and , want to know that what should i care while choosing the right transistor for the good result. can you give me some recommendations. thanks in advence

Hi,

I know nothing about Gilbert cells/mixers, sorry... In my ignorance, I would guess that at 5 GHz you might want to look at RF transistors? I read they are usually made with MOSFETs nowadays, not sure if it meant at IC level, 'though.

Hi,

I know nothing about Gilbert cells/mixers, sorry... In my ignorance, I would guess that at 5 GHz you might want to look at RF transistors? I read they are usually made with MOSFETs nowadays, not sure if it meant at IC level, 'though.
is this because the frequency limitation, should i use RF transistors i mean the bandwidth of the transistor must be higher that the operation freq. of the mixer right?

Hi,

I would have thought so, but don't take my word for it, I know as much as you do. Isn't it (exactly) the same as an op amp in that respect: gain falls (to 0) with increased frequency due to finite bandwidth?

I sense some confusion here.
I really wouldn't recommend you try to build a 5GHZ mixer using discrete components, especially using BJT devices when ready made ICs are available. Your BJTs would ideally have fT of > 10GHz which limits availability and layout would be extremely critical.
I have used IAM81008 successfully in the past but I'm not sure if it is still available.

Brian.

Look at Infineon website, they have SiGe BJT's to operate GHz range..

Status
Not open for further replies.