Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BJT Biasing Formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABEL DANIEL

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
IMG_20141114_104639.jpg

For this i have have a SOLUTION.But i have a doubt in the solution:
Here,base current is found by applying KVL to i/p loop and then

Then Ic =βIb and then Ie=gamma Ib=(β+1)Ib
So Rc is found by applying KVL to output loop

My question is, can we apply formulas like Ic=alpha* Ie(like one,that we used here),Ic=βIb and Ie=gamma*Ib,blindly in every problem;dont we need to find the region of operation(active,cutoff and sat)first,before applying these formulas?

Last edited:

Hi,

My hint: What goes in must come out. Ib and Ic goes in, Ie goes out. ==> Ie = Ib + Ic.

Klaus

dont we need to find the region of operation(active,cutoff and sat)first,before applying these formulas?
Yes, you do. In the present example, the transistor is in saturation, thus beta isn't valid.

you can not apply these formulas blindly ...here is some points to remember...

1. firstly suppose transistor is in active region and find out the base current.
2. apply Ic =βIb.
3. find Icsat= (Vcc-0.2)/Rc.
4. If Ic< Icsat. then Transistor is in active region otherwise if Ic>=Icsat then it is in saturation region.

Status
Not open for further replies.