Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bining of parameters of BSIM model

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinesh agarwal

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
general doubt :

Where we use the bining of binable parameters.

Why to use

what is the description which comple the use of binable parameters.

very hopefull to get reply

thanks

I am not sure I understand the question but I will explain what I think binning is.

Binning is used by foundries where they cannot match the models over a very wide range of devices sizes, so they match groups of sizes. So, one model would be used for, say, up to W=0.4um L=0.25um. The next model used up to W=0.8um and so on. Provided your simulator supports binning (I think it was devised by HSpice) then the process should be transparent to you. You will get a simulator error if a suitable model cannot be found - if the transistor is smaller or larger than there is a model for, or if the aspect ratio of the transistor is too large/small. You can usually get round such problems by using transistors in parallel, usually using the M parameter.

I don't know if it is still used - I don't often come across binned models nowadays.

Keith.

thanks for reply and you understood my doubt clearily
umc 180nm uses model BSIM3v3.

But in the BSIM3v3 manual i found some parameters mentioned as binable, hence the doubt.

Do we realy use this option practically?

or the present model incoporate this as limits for particular parameter.

I have models from many foundries, but not UMC. Some Chartered Semiconductor ones I have are binned, as are SMIC ones, I think. The use of binned models should be transparent - you don't have to do anything special, the simulator should handle it. The only time it will start to matter to you is if you exceed the range of the binned models e.g. too wide.

There is also "parameter binning" in BSIM3v3. This bins some of the model parameters, rather than the whole model. Again, this should be transparent.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back