Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biggest potentiometer for my shock box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johanx2

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am having problems with the potentiometer of this shock box. The potentiometer just lasts some days before it burns. First I used those size penny's potentiometers, but they burned too quickly, then I used those 25 cents size (0.5W) these were better, but they also eventually got burned. Could you please tell me what electronic component should I get ? I need to know if there are bigger potentiometers than 0.5w under 100K. Thanks! :lol:

**broken link removed**

How much voltage on the secondary side?

About 100v, a 50k to 100k potentiometer does the right job, but like I said, I need to know if there are potentiometers bigger than 0.5 watts, otherwise I will continue burning my pots. There are some brands that sells these shock boxes, and they are using regular potentiometers that burns too quickly.

If you use 100k potmeter at 100v the power is 0,1w. I think the potmeter burns at near the end position. A serial resistor in the output line solve the problem.

Oh I see, it could maybe work. I was thinking using a 8 or more position selector switch with several 1w resistors, of course I won't have the range of continuity that pots have :D but if i will last forever, I think it's worth giving a try. Thanks bro, I will give a try putting a resistor in series.

You might put a fixed series resistor on the wiper, to
ensure that the pot can't get too much power into it
when cranked all the way to the end.

A larger power potentiometer may still be referred to
as a rheostat, this may be a better search term if you
are looking for one later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back