Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bidirectional zener-diode question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroZ

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bidirectional zener diode

Hello,

i was wondering is it possible to replace one bidirectional zener with two unidirectional zeners? Do they equally match each others?

I think that should be possible but if theres for example. a 5.8V bipolar zener, does it also have that reverse threshold voltage of ~0.7V internally?

If so, that means 5.8V bidirectional zener actually starts conducting somewhere around 6.5V where unidirectional starts at 5.8V.. am I right or wrong?

Never really thought about this although i have been working as an electronics designer for over seven years :)

bidirectional zener

Bidirectional suppressor diodes usually don't specify a symmetry or matching parameter, but it can be expected that the matching is closer than with arbitrary choosen exemplars. Also they have a thermal coupling, but regarding all other properties they should behave like two individual diodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.