Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biasing of balanced FET amplifier. Does Rdrain_balanced = Rdrain_single / 2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have doubts about biasing of balanced FET amplifier. Assume single FET amplifier works perfectly biasing is tuned to some VGs and VDs values. VDs is set by Rdrain resistor. Now we put the same layout and connect it with existing one with high impedance lines (drain1 to drain2, gate1 to gate2), and use halved value for Rdrain. What problems should i expect?

I want to use non-symmetrical arrangement of power lines. Maybe more current will flow through one FET than another (placed farther away). Usually thin supply lines placed symmetrically, for example at power divider/combiner microstrip.

Here is an illustration to make my question more clear:
edaboard-fet-balanced.png
Is there any possible problems when moving power lines to this new non-symmetrical position?
source of image: **broken link removed**

Last edited:

In most applications of high power balanced amplifiers using 2 FETS (or MOSFETs) the gates are biased from separate resistors (through RF chokes or high impedance lines). So the idle current could be adjusted separate for each transistor.

Your situation is relative low power, so should be no difference using the same resistor to bias both gates in an asymmetrical fashion.
But it will affect somehow the RF symmetry, because at 24GHz there is no perfect/ideal high impedance line to do not affect the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back