Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biasing C class in Doherty amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young_Electronic_00

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I want to consult with you my doubts which appeared during design of Doherty amplifier. I'm designing simple configuration consisting of AB and C amplifiers. Schematic of single amplifier which I used for a carrier and an auxiliary amplifiers looks as follows:
1.png

So, for such a circuit, I calculated IV curve to choose biasing (presented below). The pinch-off voltage of the transistor is -0.65 V.

2.png

I don't have bigger problem with AB class (Vds = 3.75 V, and Ids = 26 mA what corresponds to Ugs = -0.54 V), however I'm totally confused with C class. I looked through several publications, books, and I've noticed different information how to choose biasing point. On this moment, I'm testing two of them. In first one I choose Vds = 5V, and Vgs = -0.95 V what is signifcantly under the pinch-off voltage (this corresponds to point C on the graph), and the second one: Vds = 2.5 V, and Vgs = -0.7 V (this is almost B class but for different load-line). So I'm confused, because after design of single amplifiers, and use them in Doherty configuration I should see Doherty region, right ? Something like this should be observed:

3.png

I see improvment of linearity (comparing to B or AB classes) however, I don't observed such a region...

So, how the biasing of a class C amplifier should be done ? How should the operating point for the HEMT transistor be selected?

Regards,

E

What transistor is Q1?

C-Class Amplifiers need pretty high RF Driving Levels. Maybe you make a mistake in this regard..
Does C-Class start to conduct just after AB-Class reach its \[ P_{1dB} \] or \[ P_{3dB} \] or whatsoever ?

That curve is terribly hard to obtain especially at mmwave frequencies. You need to compare your class AB with Doherty to see how the back-off efficiency.
As for biasing the class C, go for an adaptive bias (detect the input power and increase the bias voltage). For Doherty, I have found adaptive bias to work much better than a fixed bias for the class C stage. Can you maybe show how you are doing the power combining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back