Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BFP420 is not working the way it should on ADS, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1680407659167.png
1680407716697.png

what could I possibly be doing wrong with this circuit? I have the correct Vce ~ 2V and Ic ~ 20 mA and I have the blocking capacitors to keep DC from interfering with the terminations. Shouldn't I get the same result for maximum available gain at the same frequencies shown on the datasheet? Thanks

Biasing is wrong.
Vce=51.6mV !!
R4 is too low, R5 is not appropriate. R6 is not necessary.
Use RFC instead of R6, delete all biasing resistors and use Constant Current Source to drive Base..
And learn first how to bias a transistor.
Download the latest DK for ADS from www.infineon.com
BFR420_sch.png

BFR420_dds.png

Last edited:
R4 seems like a typo error. 68 makes no sense. 68k works with 10k down for a bias ratio but the bias current is insufficient to drive a 50-ohm termination.
Using a collector choke of sufficient impedance but not excessive is often used when the output is expected within a decade of the frequency range. But without an Emitter resistor to linearize the Vbe to Ic current modulation, the result expected harmonic distortion or asymmetric peak amplitudes unless feedback is used to reduce the variation in Vbe.

One important thing when using these SiGe transistors is they have low absolute collector-emitter voltage.
Initial post supply the circuit at 9V which is totally inapropriate. A DC voltage between 2V and 3.3V should be used.

BFP420 datasheet doesn't suggest a biasing method taking temperature and type variations into acount. The specified measurement circuit, also applied in the test setup by BigBoss isn't well suited for practical applications. You can refer to Infineon application notes, e.g. https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infin...N.pdf?fileId=8ac78c8c7e7124d1017f01f071aa5b8f

It seems the OP in the original question and my previous response proved that I did not read :confused:the datasheet.
But the Design Guide confirms my suggestion :cool:to use negative feedback for linear bias on Grounded (common) Emitter amplifiers to reduce distortion.

1680800835758.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back