Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best way to simulate electric circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikoladsp

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
I am wandering what is the best way to simulate electric circuits, using for example c++? I intend to create simple simulator, but don't know where to start: does anybody can recommend some literature or so? (I'm fluent in c++, but never wrote such type of applications). I just guess that I need a 'catalogue' of elements with approximation for voltage-current relationship (non-linear in general). any thoughts?

thanks in advance

The best way to simulate circuits is to use a Spice simulator, not to write your own. A huge amount of effort has gone into developing Spice over many years - I don't think you can usefully start from scratch and ignore what already exists.

Keith.

I've worked with PSPICE on college, but unfortunately its not an option. i dont intend to write complete simulator. i need basic patterns to be able to write software to analyze large distributive networks

Is this a school project?

Do you need to write it in C++ or can it be another language?

Can you use existing libraries?

BigDog

no, its for research purposes (proof of concept). c+ is a must. 3rd party libraries i would like to avoid if possible. i'm more interested in proper literature or something that can give me a start. i presume that i have to implement (or use) libraries for non-linear equations (with accent on sparse matrixes)

i dont intend to write complete simulator
Nevertheless, what you plan sounds exactly like this. There's a large amount of 70th and 80th literature related to the development of Spice and it's predecessors. I also guess, you know that Berkley Spice 3.xx is coded in C and the sources are open to the public.

Nevertheless, what you plan sounds exactly like this. There's a large amount of 70th and 80th literature related to the development of Spice and it's predecessors. I also guess, you know that Berkley Spice 3.xx is coded in C and the sources are open to the public.

did not know that. thanks. can you point out some literature (newer will be great, i read something about homotopy-based algorithms)

Unfortunately I don't have literature links. It's been a long time that I was equipped with this stuff.

Some original papers and the SPICE sources are linked here SPICE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back