Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to learn VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

servopump

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
aldec evitaâ„¢ vhdl tutorial - vhdl

Hi All,

I would like to learn to program VHDL. My background is microprocessor programming and some basic digital logic.

What is the best way for a novice like me to begin learning VHDL?

Can anyone recommend a development kit with XILINX Vertex on it?

We have some boards with XILINX (xcv150-4pq240) at work so I would like to learn about this family of chips.

Thanks

servopump

vhdl cook

Hi!

To minimize the cost and time of learning VHDL for FPGA design you could follow these steps:
1. Download from Aldec their free multimedia VHDL tutorial EVITA.
2. Read guide to synthesis with VHDL. These kinds of guides are available for free from most synthesizers vendors. For example, you could use guide from Leonardo Spectrum at www.mentor.com.
3. Download Xilinx Free Webpack from www.xilinx.com.
4. I would suggest to buy not Virtex, but Spartan2E based board. This IC is just a cheap version of VirtexE with the same set of features. It is possible to find development board with this kind of IC in the 100 $ range. Check Elektroda for links of producers.

As a assignment to start with I would suggest to design simple microprocessor. Just divide it by simple blocks and try to implement them step by step. For example, you could start with multiplexer design, then re-design it to support any length operands. Then try to implement adder, full Alu, control FSM and so on.

Here at Elektroda there are a lot of very experienced guys. Just ask questions -anybody will definetely help you in your process!

With best wishes,

Ace-X.

Think may be useful, evita vhdl and verilog links from aldec:

hxxp://www.aldec.com/FreeTutorials/EvitaVHDL21.exe
hxxp://www.aldec.com/FreeTutorials/EvitaVerilog.exe

learning VHDL

You might want to check out the book:

VHDL Made Easy

by Davide Pellerin and Douglas Taylor.

It comes with a VHDL simulator, which would enough to get yuou going at this early stage.

I found when started out, I wrote code to replace simple TTL devices I was familiar with, then progressed onto more.

Spit

Hi,
I think the best book about synthesis VHDL is SYN*PSYS sold . It's very useful .

Hi ~~

You can buy the following book as a reference. --

"LOGIC SYNTHESIS USING S*Y*N*O*P*S*Y*S"
Second Edition

by Pran Kurup (Cirrus Logic, Inc.) and Taher Abbasi (Synopsys, Inc.)
KLUWER ACADEMIC PUBLISHERS
ISBN 0-7923-9786-X

It is a good and detail book.

VHDL cookbook

I think, firsstfull
'VHDL COOK BOOK' by Andersen
Also good materials on some archives - use Altavista and keyword VHDL

Just search in these board,many good books were posted before.

enjoy it!

a cost-free hdl tool is recommented.as Maxplus2,WebPack,etc..
and "Vhdl for Programmable Logic" is very good.

learning with projec is the most efficient way

The best way to learn is work !

may use a project like xsoc from jan gray, leon from galiser or openrisc soc by opencores.

working with a project will push you to learn and u will have a clear target.. such as making the processor works, making the sdram controller works, making the serial port works... adding a AMBA devices... etc..

of coz, you will need a lot of materials, books, questions to this board to help you in the process.

hope you enjoy your days as hdl designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back