Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best SW for RF Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

talap

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recommendate the best SW for RF Simulation please

it all depends

It all depends upon what you want to do and the funds you are willing to spend.

For doing little pieces of circuits there are many very low cost programs.

For fully integrated programs, at the low end Genesys and Serenade are good values for the money.

Microwave Office is more expensive and getting better. It will probably be better than the agilent products in a few years which is why agilent employees are becoming AWR employees.

For very specialized things there are many programs. One example is for waveguide filters. WASP and Microwave Wizard are for waveguide filters.

Re: it all depends

flatulent said:
It all depends upon what you want to do and the funds you are willing to spend.

For doing little pieces of circuits there are many very low cost programs.

For fully integrated programs, at the low end Genesys and Serenade are good values for the money.

Microwave Office is more expensive and getting better. It will probably be better than the @gilent products in a few years which is why @gilent employees are becoming AWR employees.

For very specialized things there are many programs. One example is for waveguide filters. WASP and Microwave Wizard are for waveguide filters.

But i think ads is still the better choice expecially for whom want to use non linear models. The harmonic balance of mwoffice is slow and there are only a few non linear models

These are well-known softwares. You can also try APLAC. A student version is available via web. Even in the download section of elektroda.

ACLAC is a decent effort for analog system-level simulation. Developed by University of Helsinki and Nokia. Has various models (microstrip lines etc)

the_penetrator©

For me , it is Agilent's ADS..no question..
very thorough, though you need to get through a learning curve to exploit all its features and benefits..

IF you simulate circuit function,I think ADS is best.
Before it I have used MW office and Eagleware ,and make them disappear when ADS2002 come out.
Ansoft serenade is also accuracy tools except its unconvienent interface.
But Ansoft's 3D Microwave Simulation
parts-----HFSS is very useful for EM design.
Ansoft is also best for IC EMC analysis.

Have you tried the newly released Ansoft Designer? It is quite a friendly tool to start with although there were some vicious rumours going on about its the lack of accuracy.

Cheers,
Element7k

nop,
I think I would be fixed in using ADS2002,its function is enough .

Ansoft is not many resources on Web

Ansoft serenade is a very good package, I have been using V8.7 for a while and find it very user friendly and also very accurate.

MWOffice is also very user friendly I am not sure on the accuracy compared to Ansoft serenade.

Ansoft have released the Ansoft designer I am sure that it was released to compete with MWOffice.

ADS is very user UNFRIENDLY, the cost is very prohibitive.

EAGLEWARE is not too bad for the cost.

New release from MW Office - Analog office.

h**p://www.mwoffice.com/news/press/PR030519.html

i recomend A*D*S 2003

RF soft

ADS: most powerful, including system design, learning curve is long;
MWo: fast, accurate for mstrip circuit;
Ansoft serenade: small sized but powerful;

Easiest, simplest and fastest one is PUFF->world's best free EDA till date. Don't know how many of you liked my answer.

:!: :idea: :?:

talap said:
Recommendate the best SW for RF Simulation please

As a green, newly hatched, beginning RF engineer I would have to say that I really like @DS. Microwave office is more user friendly, but it's EM simulator takes the experience (that I don't have) to get the calc time down to a day. Of course, I am still learning so what do I know.

And yes, PUFF is the shiiit. :)

If you are a communication system designer,you have better to use ADS.
It takes long time to control it,but you will
get much help from it.I think other EDA software cannot reach that level.

Microwave Office 2003 is good for beginner,but maybe in some case it's
not accurate. EX, some cascade amplifier , I think that ADS should be good than MWO.

I once tried the circuit model for a simple radial stub with MWO, ADS, and Serenade. The last one gives me the best result when compared with field solver.

Then I tried to find out how the circuit model could have been implemented. There are actually a number of different ways. This might be the reason that the three products give different results...

I would expect that the accuracy of all these products are problem dependent.

That question can have many answers:

For planar structures especially if they are large like an anenna array or a larger RF circuit you definitely want to stay away from the full 3D simulators. IE3D is one of the best for planar, but it is a little hard to use. ADS and MWO are easier. ADS has been shown to be very accurate for planar circuits.

For 3D, you should go with CST or HFSS. There is some really interesting 3D simulators which are useful for specific applications and they are WASP-NET and Mician Microwave Wizard.

Do this simulation in every simulator such as MW Office , ADS and Ansoft Designer. You'll find three different results like..

Pout=15.53 dBm with ADS @1GHz
Pout=17.06 dBm with Ansoft Designer @1Ghz
Pout=19.27 dBm with AWR @1GHz

:D

The circuit is very simple. BFR280W transistor(SIE) , A-Class Power Ampl. Configuration with 1uH Collector Coil , 1uF input-output Capacitors , 50 Ohm Source and Load Impedances , 0dBm@1GHz input power , 8VDC Power supply and single resistor( 5.6K) for base biasing. Very simple circuit for test purpose.

As you've seen three different result and approx. 2dB od difference between simulator outputs.

What is THE Difference ??? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back